Hoodoo Operator

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Day #1 5/1/11
I have to admit that I don't really have much of a plan yet...what I do have is a pile of parts.

DSCN2715 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
My goal is to keep it as cheap as possible. Seeing what I can do with what I've got.
Freed the ND hub from the S-2 rim, I don't have a skip tooth chain in the budget!

DSCN2717 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
Unfortunately I was not able to save the spokes. Had to clip them.

Day #1 cont.
The 24" Huffman frame is coated with house paint and has a non factory hole that needs to be filled in.

DSCN2718 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
The fork is spray painted and has a bent steer tube. Hopefully I can fix this as I don't want to have to find a different fork.
DSCN2720 by LowpowerD, on Flickr

Day #2 5/2/11
Took frame and fork to be media blasted and have hole fixed. I don't have a blaster and I can't weld so I had to splurge on some out sourcing.

The frame's a 1950 Huffman. The front tire is a 1 1/4 and the back's a 2.125. If I can fix the steerer tube, I may try bending the forks. I also have a set of "unique" handle bars...stay tuned.

i agree... dig the frame... looking forward to what you come up with.... 8)

Ratfink1962 said:
I may have a chain that will work.

might need sandblasted though.

Thanks for the offer, I think I'm going with a 1/2 pitch. What I could use is Huffman head badge!

I've made some progress, took the fork to work and used the 500 ton press on it, the steerer tube is as straight as it's going to be. I still need to do a lot of painting. Mother Nature is conspiring against me, my paint booth is my back yard. If I get this bike done by the deadline or not, I'll still get a cool bike out of it...
Rebuilt the rear hub.

DSCN2801 by LowpowerD, on Flick
I tried to get pics of the handle bars, but it just wasn't happening. You guys will have to wait.

Wow Bendix, I'm...almost...speechless...Best bottle opener ever!

Oneuglybike, thanks for the encouragement. After some painting woes and a seat recover failure I was starting to feel like I got in over my head on this one. But I snapped out of that pretty quick! Win, lose or die, I'm building a cool bike that I'm happy with!

Progress is slow, but I'm getting somewhere I think. Last Sunday, while recovering from Pedal Mania( viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40760 ), I built the front wheel.
DSCN2879 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
DSCN2883 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
I got an early start today and dropped a rattle bomb on the frame and fork.
DSCN2881 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
Can't wait to pull the masking off to see how terrible of a job I did!

WOOT!!!

DSCN2899 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
The paint on the frame came out great. I'm real happy with it. The forks on the other hand did not turn out so well. I'm going to repaint them. Ultimately, I'm doing this built to make my self happy. I feel if I don't like it, neither will anyone else! Enough ranting, on with the build.
I had to pull out some minor shop rat skillz to get the head set cups to fit

DSCN2894 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
Shims.
DSCN2896 by LowpowerD, on Flickr

DSCN2889 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
The Dayton badge gave the old rooster some new teeth. Also notice the Worksman frame and the 1980 Fender "silver face" Vibro Champ (last year made) in the back ground!

I have had family in from out of town for the last month, so I didn't really work on the bike. Got busy tonight and got a lot done. I can't find the charger for my camera :x . I'll see if I can barrow one for so final assembly pics.

Back