TRADITIONAL Hops and Gnarly

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Regretstoration. It reminds me of when I worked at Unique Motorcars helping develop jigs and molds for a new kit car, we had the term 'F&R Department'. It was a little different meaning but similar. It wasn't about restoration but it did come with regrets.

F&R was a substitute for R&D (research and development) which meant 'F-up and Re-do'. :21:

The Hopalong Cassidy bike came with these cool 'Longhorn' handlebars.

IMG_7745.JPG

I'm not sure if they were exclusive to the bike or if any other bikes used them, but they certainly fit perfectly with the cowboy theme!

IMG_7743.JPG

IMG_7744.JPG

I can just imagine a kid pretending to be riding on the back of a Texas Longhorn Steer!

s-l1200.jpg

Never heard of those before. The Torrington longhorns that I've seen have always wider than normal cross-braced bars, but those truly fit the moniker much better. Those must have been re-chromed in that condition. Are you going work some aging back on them?

There are several pieces that have been re-chromed. For now, I'm not messing with it. I will let the owner make the final decision on the direction that I go with the chrome. This project will most likely go beyond the deadline of the build-off so some of the details like that will have to come later.

There are only a couple more weeks left in the build-off but I have a plan to have it ready to ride and photograph for the competition and then blow it apart again to finish it to the owner's liking.

I've had what I believed were long horn handlebars, but they didn't have
that extra curve at the neck. Really does make them look like cattle horns.
Very cool.
View attachment 273213
Never heard of those before. The Torrington longhorns that I've seen have always wider than normal cross-braced bars, but those truly fit the moniker much better. Those must have been re-chromed in that condition. Are you going work some aging back on them?

I'm not sure if that is the correct name for them. I saw some referred to as 'Longhorn' on a Google search. 'Hopalong' handlebars is probably a more accurate name.

Latest posts

Back