Hot Rod Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Noticed some of you guys and ladies photograph your bikes in front of hot rods and there has been plenty of reference to rods as well so I thought I would ask for some help. I'm currently building a 1931 Ford Roadster semi traditional hot rod: custom boxed 3 inch dropped frame with a Vega steering box. I don't want a new or newer tilt and want to keep it more traditional so what would my options be for a steering colum? I teach aviation maintenance so I'm doing a aviation theam...origional aircraft seats, seat belts and a yoke from a DC3 as a steering wheel.

Any thoughts?

BART

If you don't want tilt any older column like a 60's on down should work. You'll have to shorten and add a universal joint.. Older Postal jeeps even have a suitable column. If you are keeping the stock mount, you will need to pay attention to diameter.

Either use the heel that came with the column or use an adapter hub and a custom.

Best bet is to go to a swap meet and see what you can find!

Let's see some pictures!!

If you don't want tilt any older column like a 60's on down should work. You'll have to shorten and add a universal joint.. Older Postal jeeps even have a suitable column. If you are keeping the stock mount, you will need to pay attention to diameter.

Either use the heel that came with the column or use an adapter hub and a custom.

Best bet is to go to a swap meet and see what you can find!

Let's see some pictures!!
yes we would love to see you're build as far as the pictures of old bikes next to cars this is one of my most favorite photo shots I think the ratrod bikes and the ratrod cars go together hand in hand both are beautiful and show what once was and tell stories I just found a guy in town with a 31 ratrod I am hoping to take some pics sometime over the week next to it.
as fara s the column goes I would say swap meet would be the best place to look. andi do believe the older mail jeeps have a suitable column but will need modifying as djbill said

Funny you should ask, I just brought a few bikes down so I can have some photos taken. Front left is my oldest daughter's 59 ish AMC Roadmaster Sky Queen, we renamed it Orange Crusher. Loved doing it for her. Bike to the front right is my youngest daughter's 59ish Columbia Thunderbolt..it's next in line...can't wait, gonna be a restoration. Mine is in back, late 40's(?) Rollfast; siren, tail dragger rear fender...way cool.
Between the bikes is a custom frame for my 31 Ford Roadster...3 inch dropped 3" boxed frame, 4 inch drop I beam front end. 9" Ford rear, small block auto.
Body is on sawhorses needs lots of love from a welder.
20150701_215136.jpg
20150701_215221.jpg
Got in Nov 14 and been making progress. Hope to have a rolling chassie w/ engine and trans

I have two more ladies bikes...early 40's late 30's 26 inch Columbia Deluxe and a matching Sterling Deluxe..both survivors has origional barn dirt.. including origional tires....I'll have to post everything on the gallery

Barto

very nice to see these ladies bikes surviving so many get parted out.
looks like you got the right idea on the hot rod build
I love the I beam front ends
good luck with it
sean

Back