Hotrod Hobbyhorse 6/26 Not out of the race!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So here's the skinny. I wasn't even going to enter the build off. No sir-ee. I'll be graduating college at the end of the month, I won't really have time this summer to work on a project like this with re-locating, etc., I'm poor and blew my 'yearly bike budget' on the Flying Merkel I just finished, I don't have anything to use and couldnt justify spending money on a machine I won't need (too many bikes as it is.)

...but...

I was reading this thread today, and looking at all the folks getting their 'create' on just put me in a fix. I had to do something. As I was taking out some garbage, I remembered two bikes I recieved as free-for-haul-away from member MarksA-C languishing in the basement. I was hanging on to these for parts I may have needed for the Merkel, and had forgotten about them. A little bit of headscratching and presto! I'm in 8)

The name (catchy name possibly pending, any ideas?) pretty much sums it up. I'm a music history major, and I love antique stuff. This machine will be a hotrodded twist on the old hobbyhorse. Sound scary? Ohhh just wait :shock: To my knowledge no one has ever done a hobbyhorse for a buildoff before, and as far as I can tell, it's legal.

My goal? Make something awesome for veeeeeeeery cheap, and finish before the end of May.

Here's my canvas, a diamond frame 10 speed 'Free Spirit' bike.

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

IMG_2471.jpg

Progress to follow...

Re: Hotrod Hobbyhorse

Can't wait to see this turned into something cool just like the Merkel :wink:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the early positive comments :D

The first 'bicycles' were simple machines with no mechanical drive- simply a frame supporting two wheels that allowed the rider's feet to hang down and kick against the ground for propulsion. One of the first was a 'phaeton' which first tore up the streets of London in 1769. In 1818 Baron von Drais introduced his version, the 'dandy horse', and similar machines followed, also catching the title 'hobby horse'.

I'm taking my cue from these early machines- hobbyhorse isn't just a clever name, this will be a bona fide hobbyhorse, but with a hot/ratrod flare.

Just in case you were wondering :D

This concludes today's history lecture, please hand in your homework on the way out :mrgreen: :wink:

After reading your post, i got curious so I did some searching. The history of the bicycle is VERY cool!

Is this what your after? I like your ideas! A Hot-Rodded Hobby Horse will be sweet!!!

draisien.gif

81139.jpg

Critter1, that's them for sure! In keeping with the buildoff rules, I can't mod my frame, but I'm going to keep the concept.

I've been in term paper purgatory, but perhaps tomorrow I'll get a bit of time to start getting my hands dirty and get a 'rolling' frame (get it? haha... :roll: ) It's going to be pretty hack and slash stripping it down, and I'll be going for the true minimalist look. This will include, you guessed it, no brakes other than the ones attached below your ankles, and perhaps most radically, no cranks, chain, etc. This will free me up for some hotrod ideas I have rattling around in my head, we'll see what makes it :mrgreen:

I've never seen it done here, but I don't see anything in the rules about a machine needing to be chain drive. I cite rule 6 and 7 in my defense: This will be a ridable machine, in the propulsion style of the hobbyhorse, and I will be using any parts I like...I just don't like cranks, sprocket and chain for this one :mrgreen: :wink:

As a "Stark Raving Minimalist" I'll be watching this one closely. I always joked around that I was going to mount 2 wheels on 2 bedframe rails and call it done, this may be the next best thing!

This might not be a bit hit with the majority, but at least you won the "Name this obscure Hepburn movie reference" part of the buildoff! :wink:

Good Luck. 8)

this is an interesting idea, im really curious to see what you have in mind. It reminds me of Design college when they told us the "less is more"

Hahah, this will be the most fun build to folow, I'm sure!
I think it will be minimal.
Simple maybe...
Maybe even TOO simple.
And because of that you'll have to set up a poll for us to decide wether you have to dress up like the dude in that hobbyhorse-illustration, or not for the final photoshoot when you enter the 'finished bikes' thread...
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jeepers almost fell off the page!

I was able to spend a little time this evening getting the machine torn down, I still have a bit more to do, but I'll finish up tomorrow and get some pics up :D I think I also have my color scheme decided on, more to come with that after a visit to the hardware store.

Sorry for the rather undynamic start here with a lot of teasing, I've had a ton of collegework lately, and in the interest of graduating and keeping my GPA up, it's gotta come before the bike. To be fair all around, It's been coming before sleep as well, so hopefully no one here feels I'm cheating them :roll: :wink:

There's some really terrific machines taking shape here! I may not have commented on everyone's build, but I make a point to check back here at least once a day (often more) and visit each and every build. Awesome job guys! It's going to be stiff competition this year for sure. I hope my humble pony will be able to race with the big boys :lol:

Re: Hotrod Hobbyhorse 5/6 pics and historical experience

Alright, here are a few shots of the machine all stripped down to hobbyhorse spec. All of the extraneous parts I won't be needing have now been removed. Yes ladies and gentlemen, this is about all there is to it :wink: Now will come cleaning, painting, and fabricating. Oh what a terrific blank canvas!

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

And a little personal note:

I'm a music history major. Part of my fascination with history is physical history: being able to see an hold parts of the past, and experience things that someone from centuries ago may have experienced. After I got the bike stripped down, I couldn't resist taking it for a little stroll. WOW! Pearching in the saddle while kicking your way down the back ally may sound pretty silly, but it was quite possibly one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had on two wheels. One really gets a sense of the excitement that a person from late 18th-early 19th century would have felt while trying one of these contraptions. I spent a good hour or so adjusting the seat and handlebars, and worked out that the most comfortable and efficent riding position was to be able to stand over the saddle, feet flat on the ground, with the saddle just touching my bottom so that when I put my full weight down on it, my knees were just slightly bent.

I highly encourage everyone to try this out with an old frame and a few parts. The ride experience/braking with your feet takes a little getting used to, but it's truly phenominally fun! A speed demon it ain't, but I can imagine how enjoyable a cruise with family/friends down the boardwalk on 'crankless' bicycles could be.

Stay tuned, I'll be heading out to pick up paint in a while :mrgreen:

Re: Hotrod Hobbyhorse 5/6 pics and historical experience VIDEO!!

You need another front wheel for the back, and are you going to put some coasting pegs on the upper downtube or maybe fork? You gonna share you ideas for covering up the gaping hole in the BB or can I expect to be surprised?

Re: Hotrod Hobbyhorse 5/6 pics and historical experience VIDEO!!

yoothgeye said:
You need another front wheel for the back, and are you going to put some coasting pegs on the upper downtube or maybe fork? You gonna share you ideas for covering up the gaping hole in the BB or can I expect to be surprised?

I'm workin on a front wheel for the back, I have a dastardly idea to add to the hotrod look, tho it depends on how wide I can spread the rear stays. Pegs, I'm not sure yet. I have no welder, and havnt thought much about them yet. The BB hole, well, that's going to be revealed later oncee I decide on which Idea I'm going to use :wink:

Back