Hotrod Hobbyhorse 6/26 Not out of the race!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hotrod Hobbyhorse 5/6 pics and historical experience VIDEO!!

Strings_and_steam said:
Pegs, I'm not sure yet. I have no welder, and havnt thought much about them yet.

They make clamp on footpegs for either bikes or motorcycles. hint hint

yoothgeye said:
Strings_and_steam said:
Pegs, I'm not sure yet. I have no welder, and havnt thought much about them yet.

And what about BMX pegs..? Never used them before myself, but aren't they just screw-ons?
Man, you must be having the most fun on this build-off of us all..

herr_rudolf said:
yoothgeye said:
Strings_and_steam said:

And what about BMX pegs..? Never used them before myself, but aren't they just screw-ons?
Man, you must be having the most fun on this build-off of us all..

BMX footpegs would probably work well, I might even be able to make some. I'm reeeeeeally trying to avoid spending much money on this build other than the paint I'll need to pick up, so I've got my 'home brew cap' dusted off and pearched on my noggin.

herr_rudolf, I am having a BLAST! :mrgreen: I'll see about getting a proper riding video this afternoon

Strings_and_steam said:
BMX footpegs would probably work well, I might even be able to make some. I'm reeeeeeally trying to avoid spending much money on this build...

Good for you! That is the right spirit for this build-off. imho ofcourse. I already have spend the budget on my build, times two... But then again, I got my frame/fork for free so I allow myself to spend a bit more than foreseen...

I wanna see those footpegs, and how you're gonna make them. I always wanted to try ut a set. It looks like a fun way to transport people :mrgreen: seriously!

Can't wait for that vid...

Re: Hotrod Hobbyhorse 5/7 Egad! Moving picture (video)!

Movie time! :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZxe2eCn ... ideo_title

DISCLAIMER: I am aware that by the time moving picture technology had eveloped, the hobbyhorse was long since obsolete. :p :p

DSC00740-Copy.jpg

That was just sooo friggin' awesome!!!!!!
Nice touch on 'vintaging' the video. And that music... it is just spot on... Now I wonder in what way your gonna surprice us in the next 2.5 months to come...

Gonna watch that vid again.
:lol: 8) :lol: 8)

Strings_and_steam said:
Dig the Kraken shirt! Check out my avatar :mrgreen: Best marketing campaign for a liquor, hands down!

I like the direction you're taking this build, definitely original! Nice work

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That was awesome, I love it :mrgreen:

video made my day! looking at mybike right now, this may not be the only hobby horse in the buildoff. looks awesome thogh :D

HAHA agreed, d.rock! I've been meaning to ask you if that's where your avatar was from. A local place here was givign away free shirts with every bottle sold, so I had to try it, and it's excellent stuff!

I'm glad the 'moving picture' went over well :mrgreen:

I've nearly got my colors decided on, and will probably be picking them up tomorrow. I have a mildly 'radical' idea for some of my paint aplication, you'll have to stay tuned to see. Also, I'll be trying out a few ideas tomorrow, so expect some pics if things work out right! :mrgreen:

Keep up the great work all, really nifty stuff taking shape this year. I'm glad to be part of it all!

Re: Hotrod Hobbyhorse 5/9 paint and Macmillan

Made a run to the Depot of Homes this afternoon, and picked up my paint and some other supplies.

Here's what we're looking at for colours:

IMG_2482.jpg

And the inspiration for my build:

McMillanBicycle-11.jpg

Now I just need to find a toy horse, but Goodwill was fresh out. :wink: I'll be taking a number of stylistic cues from this machine. This machine was made by the blacksmith Kirkpatric Macmillan in 1838-39. It was the first recorded mechanical drive bicycle. And trust me, if I had a welder I'd make up the treadle drive too! But that will be for a future build :wink: Reportedly, Macmillan was fined by Glasgow (he was Scottish) Police department in 1842 for knocking over a child spectator at the end of a 40 mile trip, thus unwittingly comittign the first cycling-related offence on record :D

Great color scheme, I'll be interested to hear how the '2x coverage' works out and it's durability. Thick paint doesn't necessarily mean less scratch resistance, but it would be cool if it did.

BTW, LOVE the horse head on the inspiratin piece, you've got get this for it!
http://cgi.ebay.com/WESTERN-COWBOY-...314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c4c78862
$(KGrHqN,!lEE1F+)i10DBNg!6Uprc!~~_12.JPG

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Haha! That might be just the ticket for my 'horse head' needs :lol:

I used the '2X' coverage stuff for my Flying Merkel build as well. Very nice paint, It gave me great coverage over primer indeed. I did 2 coats on everything, one coat was just a little less vibrant as I thought it could be. I'd recommend this stuff very highly, although make sure if you're using a primer that its from the same '2X' line; It didn't play very nicely with an automotive primer I had. It's pretty good against dings, I've had the Merkel out and about a good deal parked and cable locked in many bike stands, with no noticable chips or dings yet. Plus, it hasn't even started to flake or rub off the rims yet from the brake pads. I'm sure it won't last forever, but it seems pretty darn durable.

If you play your cards right you'll wake up with a bloody horse head in your bed. :shock:

The weather let up here enough for me to shoot some spray.

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

Yup, completely painted wheels. Rubber pneumatic tires didn't exist for cycles until the late 19th century, so the hobbyhorse would have had wooden rims with perhaps a thin strip of iron or rubber around the circumfrence. This is my cheap attempt to replicate wheels with no tubes, and as the machine is ridden, the paint on the tread will wear aways some to give the effect of rubber/iron on the very edge.

COOL :mrgreen:

yoothgeye said:
Your valve stem needs a little "pick me up." :wink:

Haha, you know what's weird about that is that I tried to even take the tire and tube out when tryign to straighten it before paint, and the plastic of the stem is actually stretched a hair and bent like that (not a kink, just a 'lean' like you see in the pic, almost as if it had been in a tiny tubing bender). I'd have replaced it, but I don't have the $$ to spend on a new tire (yes, I am that cheap for thsi build :roll: ) and dont have one laying around to fit. ...Plus I feel weird about researching/buying 'valve stem enhamcement' products :shock:

I had planned to use a big balloon tire for the rear that was originally from the front of a ladies cruiser I have for parts, but the frame simply won't spread wide enough, the rear stays are too close together near the seatpost. Bummer! Oh well. I laid down some more paint today, I'll post pics later on when things dry :mrgreen:

Re: Hotrod Hobbyhorse 5/13 Frame work and paint

Since y'all have been so good ( :mrgreen: :roll: :wink: ) I spent an hour this afternoon and got a few things done on the horse.

All 'acoustic' tools for this build (non electric, it's a music joke/problem I have). Cut a piece for a 'tank', more of a beef-up the look of the top bar.

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

Then I got the frame all taken apart, cleaned, and painted up.

IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

I'm not using primer for 2 reasons. 1, it's an extra cost. 2, I've found with no primer, piant runs a little, and playing wih that texturing look just right combines with some lumps and dings in the frame, it looks quite old and like it could almost be brushed. For most builds this wouldn't be desirable (I'd never do it on something else) but for this build in an antique-y style, it's spot on.

Here's the finished front wheel and the black fork (more in store for the fork :D )

IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

And a shot of the colour combo, sorta.

IMG_2500.jpg

More to come!

Back