How do you convert a light?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Does anyone know how to convert an old generator light to a battery operated one? My generator isn't working and I had a great idea to move the rear red light into an aluminum coke bottle. I don't want it to run off of the generator anymore obviously. Please hints, tips, or even if somone can do this for me and I send it to you and pay for it lol. I'm not good with electrical.
I don't know what I want to put the big headlight in but I'd like to be original, ratty and also battery operated. Any ideas?
Here's the light setup.
43C71908-1A88-45EB-899E-B066E84B1BEE-16986-000004E8E86BC50B.jpg

The bottle
6FBFAA69-9DE6-447B-8699-12D87C3102FC-16986-000004E8EB0E4AF4.jpg

Here's how I plan to attach the light
80F970E1-ADD0-44E7-A8B2-9BA567C3F9F3-16986-000004E8EEDBB2DF.jpg

C79EFC55-73FD-42F7-AD25-F727A987A937-16986-000004E8F11B990E.jpg

F6865177-5929-4AB3-9E2D-CEAB0EF1BA8F-16986-000004E8F3613436.jpg

ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

you can do as mentioned above, but if you want the original bulb and whatnot you need to replace the generator with a battery pack of the same voltage.

First step is to see what voltage the generator generated. It might be stamped on the generator, if not check the bulb. I'm not too familiar with these things as I'm pretty new to the scene (first post).

After you find the voltage you need to make a battery bank. The easiest thing is to run to Radio Shack and pick up a AA battery holder that lets you get the right configuration for the voltage you need. I'll attach a pic below for 6v and 12v using AA's.

3gwOp.png

Next,connect the red and black wires to the positive and negative terminals (respectively) of the battery bank. Wouldn't be a bad idea to throw a little toggle switch in there.

OR just buy a DC adapter from Radio Shack of the right voltage and get the right female end to connect to the light. But how much fun is that? :p

Unless the generator output an AC signal... then throw everything away that I just said.

Jgb5067 said:
you can do as mentioned above, but if you want the original bulb and whatnot you need to replace the generator with a battery pack of the same voltage.

First step is to see what voltage the generator generated. It might be stamped on the generator, if not check the bulb. I'm not too familiar with these things as I'm pretty new to the scene (first post).

After you find the voltage you need to make a battery bank. The easiest thing is to run to Radio Shack and pick up a AA battery holder that lets you get the right configuration for the voltage you need. I'll attach a pic below for 6v and 12v using AA's.

3gwOp.png

Next,connect the red and black wires to the positive and negative terminals (respectively) of the battery bank. Wouldn't be a bad idea to throw a little toggle switch in there.

OR just buy a DC adapter from Radio Shack of the right voltage and get the right female end to connect to the light. But how much fun is that? :p

Unless the generator output an AC signal... then throw everything away that I just said.

Thanks lots of good info there. I'll try the battery pack idea. I saw a few posts with that same strategy. And I'll definitely be putting a switch on lol.

Glad to be of help, make sure you post when it's done, I'm curious to see how it turns out :D

And let me know if you need anything else, I'm always happy to lend a few brain cells.

Okay will do!

Latest posts

Back