How do YOU remove old paint?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what methods everyone uses for prepping a frame for paint. Old fashioned elbow grease and sandpaper? Wire wheel? Chemical stripper? Sandblasting? Do you take the frame to bare metal before paint, or just knock off some clearcoat and spray away?

On my last build I used chemical stripper, but it really wasn't as efficient as I hoped, and it was a heck of a mess. My next frame will be more of a rat job, so I'll probably just rough up the surface and spray some flat black. I just wondered what everyone's methods were, and how different some people's ideas of paint prep are.

On a side note, does everyone here pretty much stick to the rattle-can method, or do we have any pro spray booth setups that I can envy?

If I'm taking the frame the bare metal (I typically do), I use Aircraft Stripper (available at most auto parts stores) first.
WARNING!
It is NASTY stuff! There's even a 'may cause cancer' warning on the label. I ALWAYS use it outdoors and spray down wind. This stuff BURNS if it gets on your skin, but it strips paint FAST. I call it 'the devil's urine' :mrgreen: Once applied, I hit the frame with a hose to clean it off.
Then it's time for the 'hand work' on the stuff left, wire wheel, emory paper, etc...

Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Dr. T

When Im going to bare metal, I use a roloc scotch brite disc on my 90 degree die grinder.

For the tight spots around the bottom bracket, seatpost, and headtube area... I use a propane torch to heat the old paint up and then wire brush it all off, works really good.

If the old paint is in good condition, just scuff and shoot!

I used break cleaner once, it removed 99.9% of the powder coating- spray it on and let it cook
its about $8 a can

I posted that and could have been more wrong. I meant to say Gasket cleaner, the powder coating came right off- that stuff is wicked!
Im trying to strip a frame right now and cant find any of it locally. I switched over to Aircraft stripper, three applications and the paint is still on.

Im going to try some stuff we use here in the oilfield.

I used break cleaner once, it romoved 99.9% of the powder coating- spray it on and let it cook
its about $8 a can

first bike - by hand
second bike - orbital and hand sanding in the tight spots
few bikes later - stripper and hand sanding in the tight spots
few bikes later - blasting

you may tear a few things up playing with a "sand"blaster in the beginning, but then you start figuring out what works and what doesnt after you dump a little money into it.

out of the other options, for less than $10 you can use the stripper and hand sanding method without too much time involved.

pepper said:
I used break cleaner once, it romoved 99.9% of the powder coating- spray it on and let it cook
its about $8 a can

I did the same thing, read it on the Bike forums once :wink:

Skipton said:
I know this has been ask before but can't find it....

What if I want to just strip the cheap rattle can job someone did over what might be a decent factory paint job?

Thanks
Skip

For that I use oven cleaner and wash it off with water and a nylon brush. Just do a test spot first to make sure it will not eat all the way through

Since the aircraft stripper is a paint to brush on (and tends to waste a lot) I tried out Graffiti Remover.

It's comes in a rattle can, it's easy to apply and it removes most cheap paint jobs.

Beau said:
Since the aircraft stripper is a paint to brush on (and tends to waste a lot) I tried out Graffiti Remover.

It's comes in a rattle can, it's easy to apply and it removes most cheap paint jobs.

Most auto parts stores and Walmart carry the aircraft stripper in spray cans. It's nasty stuff though and I can't imagine what it would be like to apply with a brush. This stuff makes Kutzit paint remover seem almost potable.
If you have ugly but reasonably complete factory paint don't strip it, just sand it, fill in the chips, and paint over it that's as good a base for paint as anything else you can do.

motopsyco said:
Beau said:

Most auto parts stores and Walmart carry the aircraft stripper in spray cans. It's nasty stuff though and I can't imagine what it would be like to apply with a brush. This stuff makes Kutzit paint remover seem almost potable.
If you have ugly but reasonably complete factory paint don't strip it, just sand it, fill in the chips, and paint over it that's as good a base for paint as anything else you can do.

Using it with a brush is like scraping the bottom of a toxic waste barrel :) But it werks very well, I buy it by the gallon.

meet my son......luckly for me he enjoys building bikes

4.jpg

then i use a hand held sandblaster gun from harbor frieght (pick up sand at local hardware store) to get the hard to get to spots

Nothing beats a sandblast cabinet. We use a "media" in ours. I'm very lucky to have access to one where I work, and it's large enough to fit a complete frame. Even at that it takes some time to get all the angles and corners of a bike frame.

On Schwinn frames, which is what I'm usually working with, I can see the knurling marks of the frame tube rolling machines they used after I'm done. With a good media in the blaster there does not seem to be any damage.

This does NOT work for powdercoat removal. You'd need to use heat or mechanical (grinding/sanding disc) methods for that. I tried to clean up a Peugeot powdercoated frame and it was nearly impossible to make any headway on that material. Very very tough except where the frame graphics are. But all vintage painted steel frames clean up just beautifully in the blaster.

You'll find out where all your brazed joints are too!

0517092339.jpg

--Rob

I have been searching and searching and searching for a simple, low cost (less than $1,000), clean/quick/sufficient method for home media blasting.
Still searching.......

ALL of the standard size media blasting cabinets are 4" short to house a bike frame.

Tailwinds said:
I have been searching and searching and searching for a simple, low cost (less than $1,000), clean/quick/sufficient method for home media blasting.
Still searching.......

ALL of the standard size media blasting cabinets are 4" short to house a bike frame.

Fabricate an extension box, should be easy enough.

Tailwinds said:
Still searching.......

you can build your own out of plywood and plexiglass for way less than $1000. I think TP tools even sells a kit with the vents / gloves and windows even, but you really dont even need to spring for that.

Back