How do YOU remove old paint?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Craftsman portable sand blaster. It doesn't take much pressure if you don't mind going slow. I use a 33 gallon air compressor and the small black plastic hopper from Sears. Can't beat it when going to bare metal! If you are going to do a lot of paint removal, it's great...

I dont know why I put brake cleaner.
I meant to say Gasket Stripper, that stuff is wicked! The Powdercoating came right off.

pepper said:
I used break cleaner once, it removed 99.9% of the powder coating- spray it on and let it cook
its about $8 a can

I posted that and could have been more wrong. I meant to say Gasket cleaner, the powder coating came right off- that stuff is wicked!
Im trying to strip a frame right now and cant find any of it locally. I switched over to Aircraft stripper, three applications and the paint is still on.

Im going to try some stuff we use here in the oilfield.

That's good because, FYI: Brake cleaner + heat = Phosgene gas

First bike - by hand with a pocket knife and sand paper to finish up.
Second bike - flapper wheel on a drill and pocket knife to get in the tight spots.
Few bikes later - throw the frame and fork in a leaf fire and burn it off, Also leaves a cool rusty patina. It's easily sanded off if that's not your thing, I have no idea how it effects the tensile strength of the steel but I haven't had any problems....yet.....knock on wood.
Last bike I did - sanding sponge and lots of time.

Latest posts

Back