How much thread do I need for the handlebars?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought myself a set a triple tree chopper forks off of ebay. It's the generic chrome fork that you see on a number of choppers.

The threaded head tube is quiet long. How much thread do I want sticking up above the top of the tree?

My plan is to thread on a nut, cut off the excess (hacksaw?)and then use back the nut off to clean the threads.

Anyone else have a better idea?

Spud

Poor man fork cutting tool. Take two fork top bearing cones and bolt them on the steerer tube facing each other (the top part, not the part that holds the bearing) Screw the first one in so that it stops at where you have determined you will cut. Screw in the second one and leave just enoough space between both of them for a hacksaw blade to pass. You just made yourslef a cutting guide. You will have a nice straight clean cut and when you remove the bottom cone it will clean the thread. That's how I do it and it works everytime.

Poor man fork cutting tool. Take two fork top bearing cones and bolt them on the steerer tube facing each other (the top part, not the part that holds the bearing) Screw the first one in so that it stops at where you have determined you will cut. Screw in the second one and leave just enoough space between both of them for a hacksaw blade to pass. You just made yourslef a cutting guide. You will have a nice straight clean cut and when you remove the bottom cone it will clean the thread. That's how I do it and it works everytime.
good idea...

wow, what an old thread. use a plumber's tubing cutter, steel is hard on the cutting wheel, but they are replaceable.

Latest posts

Back