how to build a sidecar...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Copied from an old out of print book I found in the library. If anyone knows where I can get a copy, let me know.
sidecar1.jpg

sidecar2.jpg

sidecar2.jpg

and the end...
sidecar7.jpg

sidecar8.jpg

I can't vouch for how well the plans work because I haven't tried to build one...yet! 8)

Bigcam59 said:
and the end...
sidecar8.jpg

I can't vouch for how well the plans work because I haven't tried to build one...yet! 8)
If welding were available, why would you have squish-bolted it together in the first place? :?

i remember reading that book from my library when i was a kid. i dont remember much about it, but i vaguely remember it being simple fun things to do with bikes that didnt take a lot of skill to do/make. do you have a scan of the cover bigcam?

excitebike said:
i remember reading that book from my library when i was a kid. i dont remember much about it, but i vaguely remember it being simple fun things to do with bikes that didnt take a lot of skill to do/make. do you have a scan of the cover bigcam?
Sadly, no. I photocopied the sidecar plans a while ago and haven't seen the book since. :(

Holy cow, now you give me the idea just a couple days before the Tour de Fat...! My child bike trailer does not match my bike, I think I'll need to find a babysitter instead, no time to build something like this!

I've never seen these plans but they're not that far off from my hacks. Haven't been there in awhile but a couple of months ago I found a site .... http://www.sidecar.com ..... they have a great site and forum.

Somewhere's in the shop I've got a page or two of tips for building a sidecar/hack. You want your hack wheel to be leaning just a little, but I can't remember which way. I think it's away from the bike and only a couple of degrees. This helps with the cornering. I've got the info at the shop. Also in my experience, keep the wheels all the same size! My best hack (Hackamania) runs 16" all around and turns tight for a hack. It's built for Pixie jousting, otherwise I would have used bigger tires. "HackJob", my other hack is also for Pixie jousting but runs a 20" wheel on the hack. This beast is fast! But turning sucks, especially with a larger monkey. It is the dominate force in our areas, having actually CRUSHED other hacks during competition.
There's a couple of other jousters in Canada and we sometimes get together for jousts or pillow fights. We also use the hacks to give rides at shows and festivals.
This winter, plans for at least two 24 to 26'' hacks are in the making. Look for them at the 2010 FreakBike Militia events in the Great Lakes and Golden Horseshoe areas!

As far as this Patent goes, I wouldn't even worry about it. It's not a very good one and by todays standards and riders, wouldn't last much longer than the first ride. Anyways who's gonna build this design "as is" and then market it? But then too this leads us back to ..... there are other ways to build a cool bike when you have no welder!

thesuicideride said:
spinman said:
Looks like someone already has a US Patent on a design;

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3704899.pdf

im probably way off but arent patents only valid for like 20 years of somethin like that? im totally buildin one of these!

you are not way off. Patents last 17 years. They can be renewed, but this is rarely allowed. However it is possible to change just a little thing and get a new patent on the "new" invention. They recently (about 10 years ago) changed the point at which the clock starts on the 17 years though. It used to start when the patent number was issued. Now it starts when the patent is applied for. A sort of retroactive thing. I think they did this because many people used the "Patent Pending" thing like a patent.

i believe it was called 'the fantastic bicycle(s?) book'. there are a lot of projects in that book- very cool! they show up on ebay now and then..... :)

Bendix said:
i believe it was called 'the fantastic bicycle(s?) book'. there are a lot of projects in that book- very cool! they show up on ebay now and then..... :)

Lindblom, Stephen - The Fantastic Bicycles Book (Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 1979)

The 1919 edition of The Boy Mechanic he mentions appears to be "Book 3 - 800 Things for Boys to Do."
That one was reprinted in the 90s by Lindsay Publications -- not sure they still have it in their catalog,
but you can always count on them for whole shelf of other insane skills.

This old side car build was when my kids were small. Look close and you will see the frame made
of folding chairs. The chair part is one half of a thin walled tank. cf

Back