How To Build Dope Wheels

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finaly got around to making a how to how to on making wheels with twisted spokes, I wouldn't recomnend trying to build a wheel like this if you have never built regular wheels before. I started out with a 24" Rigida mountain bike wheel.

100_6040.jpg

Take the wheel apart if you are using an old wheel and clean and polish it while you have it apart.

100_6044.jpg

Start lacing like you building a regular wheel but don't start crossing spokes yet.

100_6045.jpg

The wheel I used had a 3x pattern but I relaced it with a 2x to make sure the spokes would be long enough then just file down the spokes that stick out past the nipple. Take a spoke, put it in the hub like your going to cross and on the 2nd spoke you cross(3rd if your building a 3x wheel) twist it around that spoke once then put it in the correct hole in the rim as if you were building a regular wheel

100_6047.jpg

100_6049.jpg

Continue lacing like this untill you have finished the wheel.

100_6053.jpg

100_6056.jpg

Then just tension and true like a regular wheel.

Yep, I used the original spokes. Depending on the spoke length you might be able to add a twist without taking out a cross but most likely not, I have only been able to do that once. If you take out a cross the spokes will probably be a little long even with the twist but you can just take a file and file then down.

I remember Dan's Comp would do this if you bought a wheel set from them. I had it done with some Bulleye hub laced to Araya RB17 rims. It was pretty snazzy looking.

If you want to keep the three cross all you need to do is add 10mm to the spoke length and buy new spokes(handy if you are building new).

Wow! that looks rad!

so, all the bikes i have have two cross spokes (just went and checked), should i just add 10mm to that to get a good length to do this?

Been looking for info on length of spokes to do a twisted wheel set .Might have a go now . 8) 8) 8) Thanks for the info :)

More crosses means more flex, less is stiffer, twists are softer than without.
Only bad I ever ran into was snapping cheap spokes, and breaking hubs going to radial patterns.
Twisted patterns are so cool, next try using 3 different lengths, don't remember what pattern that was, like a puzzle to figure out!

Back