how to measure wheels?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all, i was wondering how to measure and compare wheels? for example a 26" wheel is measured from the 'center to rim' or from 'rim to rim'? the reason i ask and i guess the real question is would a 26" motorcycle tire fit a 26" bicycle rim? im just wondering why a motorcycle wheel and a bicycle wheel would both be called 26" wheels but not be the same size?

Markm said:
have any pics ??

of the tires? no i havent got them yet, i wanted to find out if they would fit before i got them because they cost alot but i guess i can just return them if they dont work out. :D

Why can't you find some old tires the same size and try them, maybe borrow a tire that size and try it. Seems like a cheap way to try, your just out some time and not money. Good luck, keep us posted on this.

Graylock

Graylock said:
Why can't you find some old tires the same size and try them, maybe borrow a tire that size and try it. Seems like a cheap way to try, your just out some time and not money. Good luck, keep us posted on this.

Graylock

yeah, im going for a different look than the regular tires but thanks!

most tires have an ISO size number ,like.. 37/559, the last number is the diameter, thats what needs to match, and then a reasonably close width..

scrumblero said:
most tires have an ISO size number ,like.. 37/559, the last number is the diameter, thats what needs to match, and then a reasonably close width..

awsome thank you! so would the diameter for 37/559 be 559 or 9? sorry if thats a super stupid question i just wanna make sure i get it rite, thank you!

A motorcycle tire may 'fit' a bicycle rim, but I don't know if a bicycle rim would be able to support the bead of a motorcycle tire. Those things are monsters! Back in the day when I rode dirt bikes it was A LOT of work getting a motorcycle tire off the rim if you had to change a tire. At least that's my two cents and something to think about.

native_wolf said:
scrumblero said:

awsome thank you! so would the diameter for 37/559 be 559 or 9? sorry if thats a super stupid question i just wanna make sure i get it rite, thank you!

37mm x 559mm might be better to just lace the cycle rims to the bike hubs.... :roll:

Russtoleum said:
A motorcycle tire may 'fit' a bicycle rim, but I don't know if a bicycle rim would be able to support the bead of a motorcycle tire. Those things are monsters! Back in the day when I rode dirt bikes it was A LOT of work getting a motorcycle tire off the rim if you had to change a tire. At least that's my two cents and something to think about.

yeah that is something to think about thank you!

scrumblero said:
native_wolf said:
scrumblero said:

37mm x 559mm might be better to just lace the cycle rims to the bike hubs.... :roll:

wow your a thinker, thats a great idea!

thank you!

All the ISO/ETRTO sizes go by the rim size doesn't matter what the nominal tires size may be called 26, 27, 28 , 29 whatever(Surly Larry tire is 3.7" 26 nominal but more like a 29" in total diameter when mounted but still a 559 ETRTO size rim). Whether the frame can handle it is the question, and if you go to motorcycle sizes as mentioned the bead will likely be an issue.

Back