How to teach a kid to ride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool man! When i was looking for my sons first bike i made sure that it would have a low enough seat post so it could be made into a coaster.
I could not believe how fast he learned to balance within minutes he's lifting his feet up to his handle bars! :shock:
This is the only way to teach a kid to balance, well in fact they teach themselves. 8)

PS my kid will be four in november.

Here is the ultimate way to teach a kid to ride without training wheels. It's worked for both my kids and numerous other kids in my neighbourhood. It seems the local parents just pass the idea on to each generation of parents....we all use the same park to do it and everyone seems to know about the idea.

Find a suitable grassy hill, not too steep. We have a kiddie park with a nice gentle hill in it. Ride to the hill with a wrench in hand. Remove the training wheels once you get there and throw them in the garbage can at the park! :) Now send your kid down the hill with the training wheels removed. If they are ready, they will cruise down the hill and continue on....no more training wheels! You're free!

My father taught me to ride ( no training wheels), by pushing me down a pedestrian overpass w/ sprayed concrete sides!!! learned how to stay up REAL fast. Please don't teach your kids this way( still terrified of concrete popcorn walls). good luck.

fastest way i know of is to toss the training wheels(all they do is teach your kid how to NOT balance) and pull the pedals off and have them push around like that for a day(sounds odd but it works) theyll learn to balance w/o thinking about it since both feet will at some point be off the ground at the same time and i bet theyll be riding the next day w/o problems(that was the case with my son, niece,and a few neighborhood kids).....
good luck!

My granddaughter was having a tough time learning, but she could ride her scooter with no problem. I had her ride her bike like a scooter with the low pedal as the footrest and her just standing and coasting. Then later, all she had to do was get used to the balance when pedaling.

Latest posts

Back