Huffy Challenger 3000 BMX...my first new bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MackenzieEtcb003.jpg

Apologies for the basement pics. Got the bike brand new for my 10th (or was it my 11th?) birthday. Never seen another one out there and not much information out there on the internet on them. I know it probably came from K-Mart or someplace like that back in the day as Mom & Dad didn't have much money. My friends had GTs and Mongooses so this was not in the same league as those bikes. I only rode it a couple of years and except for some dirt and dust, is very complete and cherry. All the things kids used to immediately ditch (chainguard, reflectors) are still there; the bike has never been apart. I remember waxing it when my dad waxed his '82 Mustang GT, lol. Always liked the mushroom grips but HATED that seat. I know that we are all rat-rod/cruiser guys here but there really is a wealth of general bike knowledge here, too. Does anyone have any information on these? Is this worth keeping, apart from the sentimental attachment?

MackenzieEtcb002.jpg

Sweet ... wish I still had my "first new bike", it was a Huffy pro disc around 88ish, like a sigma but different colors, never saw another one like it either and the bike is long gone now. Hated the seat on it too :lol:

I dont think yours has much more value than the sentimental aspect of it, but it is a great survivor so you never know, i'd ask the guys over at bmxmuseum.com about it.

i also with i had my first bike a 5 speed schwinn sting ray (man that shifter will get you)

CCR said:
Sweet ... wish I still had my "first new bike", it was a Huffy pro disc around 88ish, like a sigma but different colors, never saw another one like it either and the bike is long gone now. Hated the seat on it too :lol:

I dont think yours has much more value than the sentimental aspect of it, but it is a great survivor so you never know, i'd ask the guys over at bmxmuseum.com about it.

Thanks for your response! That seat used to hurt my rear end like you wouldn't believe. It was NOT designed for comfort, lol...I learned early on to appreciate a proper saddle for comfortable riding. I figured the bike wasn't worth much of anything, but it is kind of a clean survivor. I will check out the bmxmusuem forums, too.

scrumblero said:
that thing is cherry! if its early 80's its gotta have some collector value!!

Thanks for the response. It's cherry but it is really kind of dirty in the pics, I just cleaned the gold anodized wheels quickly with some Simple Green before taking the picture. I think the bike would be from 1984. Somewhere I still have the original owner's manual, too. Think it has Stu Thomsen on the cover, lol.

Seeing this bike makes me really want to track down one of my own... I like the older BMX bikes way more than the new ones. I don't think there is any difference but somehow I know. If it were me I'd keep it only because I'm kicking myself for ever letting mine go years ago. Sentimental value is something I wish I had when my old BMX went to it's new home. I'd have kept it had I know what was going to happen to it. It didn't survive one year before it was junked. :cry:

BrunneCustoms said:
Seeing this bike makes me really want to track down one of my own... I like the older BMX bikes way more than the new ones. I don't think there is any difference but somehow I know. If it were me I'd keep it only because I'm kicking myself for ever letting mine go years ago. Sentimental value is something I wish I had when my old BMX went to it's new home. I'd have kept it had I know what was going to happen to it. It didn't survive one year before it was junked. :cry:

Sentimental value isn't something to be easily discounted. I spent a lot of time and money finding, buying and fixing my current black '63 Schwinn Fleet....all to replace the original black Fleet that I had carelessly left out on my parents' back patio one summer evening where it was then swiped.

Oh man that takes me back, I had a few cool huffys back in the day, the pro thunder, racing 20, and whatever the one was with the wheel cover disk things. Those were the days... 8)

That chainring looks so...."Redline knockoff" doesn't it?

outskirtscustoms said:
Oh man that takes me back, I had a few cool huffys back in the day, the pro thunder, racing 20, and whatever the one was with the wheel cover disk things. Those were the days... 8)

That chainring looks so...."Redline knockoff" doesn't it?
Sigma heck yeah!
2mcedy8.jpg

i got mine stolen when i was a kid and went door to door in my neighborhood crying asking everybody if they saw who took it :(
:lol: :lol:

Bingo, but mine was kinda red color, eventually faded to pink and I traded it off for a set of mag rims and a broken 'goose frame. I welded the chainstay and I actually still have the goose somewhere in the shed, it's since been stolen twice and recovered with some black paint :cry: but at least I got it back.

Very cool BMX! I don't care what anyone says, those 1980's Huffy's were like tanks and indestructible! I remember jumping my old Huffy BMX over a triangle shaped house with a 100 yard run down a hill onto the roof and over. The two days in the hospital was worth it, but I got home and straightened up the handlebars and rode it to school the next day! Glad I left those pads on the bars or my stay may have been a little longer. :oops:

Buck Masterson said:
Very cool BMX! I don't care what anyone says, those 1980's Huffy's were like tanks and indestructible! I remember jumping my old Huffy BMX over a triangle shaped house with a 100 yard run down a hill onto the roof and over. The two days in the hospital was worth it, but I got home and straightened up the handlebars and rode it to school the next day! Glad I left those pads on the bars or my stay may have been a little longer. :oops:

Oh man if you would have had a video of it you'd be a youtube hero!

outskirtscustoms said:
Buck Masterson said:

Oh man if you would have had a video of it you'd be a youtube hero!

Amen to that! That was the time of the Apple II E though, WAY before Al Gore invented the internet!

if you like it, regardless of the $ value, its worth keeping. i wish i had alot of the things ive sold or let go in the past. my first bmx was a chrome raliegh with red alloys,1981, my second was a white redline with blue alloysfrom 1983. i miss my redline...

kngtmat said:
Wow, that is a great black & gold Huffy BMX.

Buck Masterson said:

suparoospeedway said:
if you like it, regardless of the $ value, its worth keeping. i wish i had alot of the things ive sold or let go in the past. my first bmx was a chrome raliegh with red alloys,1981, my second was a white redline with blue alloysfrom 1983. i miss my redline...

Thanks, guys. I am keeping the bike...was just wondering if it had any monetary value apart from the sentimental value I have placed on it. I've never really thought about BMX bikes even really having collectability and value, but I've since been educated. Back in the day, I never really punished this bike too much but I did ride it (jump it) over our local "Dirt Hill" at the end of the road...it always felt secure and solid. It would always get washed afterward, though. Buck, add me to the list of those who want to see the VHS video of this feat! At least pictures of the scars are required! Suparoo, any pictures of the redline? They appear to be some cool bikes (I googled the name). The "cool" (or wealthy) kids back in my day had GTs, PK Rippers, and Mongooses. Not sure I remember redlines from back then, though.

Back