Hyper cruiser from Walmart

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I couldn't resist, my good bike won't be ready for awhile and I wanted to go riding now. Plus, I liked the look of this bike. I picked the best of two that they had and got it. The discount price was even less when I rang it up, but the license had to be bought before it left the store, another 15 bucks. I went through it, chain too tight and wheel bearings too tight, as usual. I adjusted everything and stripped it down. I'll get some grease tomorrow and go through it again. It rode fairly well, the rear hub could use one one more tooth, but it's good otherwise.

DSCI0001.JPG

Hyper.JPG

Another customer saw me walking it out and liked it too. But best of all, he told me about an old bike shop called Inky's that's here somewhere. So far I haven't found a shop that had tons of parts.

That is a a sharp looking bike. Interesting to me that so many people strip the fenders off in rainy climates. It makes sense there in HI and in southern Cali. We kinda need fenders in central Indiana.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those fenders really don't help, you'll get a water mud stripe with a cropped rear fender and the front doesn't extend far enough down to keep water from soaking you also. Full fenders are needed to stay dry.

I'll try the coaster brake rebuild, right now there's almost no braking action.

but the license had to be bought before it left the store, another 15 bucks.

I didn't know any states still required a license for bikes.

I didn't know any states still required a license for bikes.

They are serious about going after bike thieves. A bright yellow sticker is your registration. The cops pull people over when they don't see the sticker on the bike.

Local St. Vinnies has a sign every bike must have licence purchased with the sale. Don't really get the point of the stickers are they magic or something? Most of the bikes I bought at the police auction had them. :p

Good lookin bike , I think that bicycle license is a good idea especially in big city areas .

Local St. Vinnies has a sign every bike must have licence purchased with the sale. Don't really get the point of the stickers are they magic or something? Most of the bikes I bought at the police auction had them. :p
I think many people just give up and don't look for their bikes. I would think the registration would have your name on it, mine has name address phone and email. Maybe they moved away, but a registration should have a paper form at the police dept, that's what the fee is for.

That is a a sharp looking bike. Interesting to me that so many people strip the fenders off in rainy climates. It makes sense there in HI and in southern Cali. We kinda need fenders in central Indiana.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Meh...I like fenders, but I don't. Mostly on cruisers I like them, but I usually like those bobbed fenders...sometimes I'll just run the front on the back. If it's raining...I ride slow. I got one of dem New Albany CVPIs now, so I'll just drive that in the rain, instead.

Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, Had to do google seach to figure it out. Used to have an 1980 Chev Caprice ex squad car, motor and trans lives on in my 1984 suburban... :)

Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, Had to do google seach to figure it out. Used to have an 1980 Chev Caprice ex squad car, motor and trans lives on in my 1984 suburban... :)

I was tempted, they had 2 of them on CL here, but economy won out.

Mine was affordable. I had gotten my pain&suffering check from my scooter wreck. I wanted to not be out in the cold on the cranbrook and bus, with six coats on. A huge bonus is it's been between 52 and 67° since I got the car and mostly rain.

I see it online for a few dollars cheaper than my discounted price. I went through it this morning, it had a little blue grease here and there, but got more everywhere and a set of Duro bricks. It rides well, but it's getting an 18 tooth cog instead of a 16 to ride more to my liking. I found a shop that has a good amount of things, but had to order a standard cog. They had a great looking Electra there for about $700.
DSCI0033.JPG

electra.jpg

That is a good looking bike. I like how the frame sweeps way down at the seat post, your can set it up low with pulled back bars if you wanted to.
3 pc cranks too. Is it an unsealed American bottom bracket? I'm always looking for swap material for down the road.

Is it easier to swap front chaining instead of rear?

It's a 3 piece crankset and BB. The rear hub cog is easy to change, just a C ring, and maybe an extra link added to the chain. Costs 5 bucks.
coaster01.jpg

Last edited:
DSCI0038 - Copy.JPG
Got the 18 tooth cog on, had to add a link to the chain, and it rides just right. Except for the high winds, it's a great day to go riding here. 76F. Here's a look at the BB. I also removed the safety stickers. Pretty nice head badge for a Walmart
DSCI0037.JPG
DSCI0044.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back