I bought her yard art for $25

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   1
Spied this while I was at work. She said the owner died and the kids threw it on the curb. She didn't want it to go the dump so she drug it home for yard art, said her husband has been riding her for "trashing up the yard" ever since.

Chips_Mahoy said:
Some good parts there!
Yeah! Nice shockease, HUGE peaked ducktail fenders (with cool ratty paint and stripes),miller kickstand, decent ratty dogleg crank and cool ratty stem!
Johnny

Headtube decal reads "Bestbike, Memphis Tennessee", the best I can tell, has a few more words but cant make them out. No holes for a horn. No holes for a fender light. I've never seen a bike with a springer and tank, but no other accessories such as a horn and light. And not even a headbadge! The rear fender has no holes for a dropstand clip. Although it has a morrow hub, I can't read the date code. Any idea what year it is?
Took the fork off, the bearings are in remarkably perfect condition! A little discolored oil, but no rust, old grease or wear! Anyone know how this fork works? There is a flathead bolt in the steerer and a nut with a cotter pin on the bottom, can the preload be adjusted? The fork is nice and thight with no slop and the rubber is in great shape! Way better shape than I thought it would be.

I've got some cool info somewhere. Give me a few to look it up!

Nightrider said:
Headtube decal reads "Bestbike, Memphis Tennessee", the best I can tell, has a few more words but cant make them out. No holes for a horn. No holes for a fender light. I've never seen a bike with a springer and tank, but no other accessories such as a horn and light. And not even a headbadge! The rear fender has no holes for a dropstand clip. Although it has a morrow hub, I can't read the date code. Any idea what year it is?
Took the fork off, the bearings are in remarkably perfect condition! A little discolored oil, but no rust, old grease or wear! Anyone know how this fork works? There is a flathead bolt in the steerer and a nut with a cotter pin on the bottom, can the preload be adjusted? The fork is nice and thight with no slop and the rubber is in great shape! Way better shape than I thought it would be.

Are the pedal blocks rubber or wood? Do the chainwheel and crank look like they were chrome or black?

Shelbys are harder to date than some others because they had varying components that they phased in and out seemingly at random, and in almost infinite and unexpected combinations... (as you have already noted.) I think most parts on this bike were used both prewar and postwar. The hub is best your best key to this puzzle. But I am betting it is a wartime bike.

Nice find, that would make a great rider. Plenty of character and history to it
thumbup1.gif

Those fenders are unlike any Shelby I have seen. Does the paint match the frame? Are there any extra holes from another mounting?

The patina doesn't match. I've not seen peaked fenders on a Shelby either. Pretty sure the tank and most definately the ShockEase are though.

dougfisk said:
Those fenders are unlike any Shelby I have seen. Does the paint match the frame? Are there any extra holes from another mounting?

Yeah, it's kind of srtange how the fenders have a different patina on them. When I took the bike apart I noticed that "hidden" paint areas on the frame and forks match to paint on the underside of the fenders. There are no other mounting holes besides the ones being used. The front indents for the fork are a perfect fit. The fenders also have flat braces. Two-tone pinstriping is also consistant on both fenders and frame/fork.
AS far as the pedals, all blocks are gone. The crank and hubs were chrome.
I'm going to try and clean the rear hub to find the date code today.

People and they're yard art!

It's always amazed me what people use in their yards as sit arounds. Seems the people that do this, in most cases really don't know what they have as far as bikes. Don't get me wrong if any of you have seen any of my pics I have alot of yard art type items, but I carefully decide what doesn't matter and what does. I have 5 or 6 bikes and trikes sitting around outside my place and you won't find any bikes that really matter if they are destroyed by weather and/or the elements.

It's a double edged sword for us bike lovers! On one hand lots of good stuff is still sitting around, on the other hand in alot of cases, great pieces are withering away to nothing.

I know, Sorry, "Who bought me the soapbox this morning" :oops:

The plan was to keep the fork and part the rest out. After seeing how well the fork cleaned up. I couldn't stop there. Now I don't know if I should keep it as a survivor. What do you all think?

The decal is actually still there, just cant see it in the photo. No hurt feelings here. I have some bikes with very heavy, natural patina that I would never clean in any way. Then there are some, like this one, that I think are worthy of a clean up. To each his own, I do understand where you are coming from though.
Johnny

Back