I bought her yard art for $25

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It truly is an amazing transformation, well done
thumbup1.gif

Nightrider said:
The decal is actually still there, just cant see it in the photo. No hurt feelings here. I have some bikes with very heavy, natural patina that I would never clean in any way. Then there are some, like this one, that I think are worthy of a clean up. To each his own, I do understand where you are coming from though.
Johnny

What did you use to clean her up? The after shots are amazing!

First I washed it with simple green and water. Next I sprayed it down with "Fluid Film" (love the lable on the can, looks as vintage as the bike) and let it set for 5 minutes. Then a light scrub (very light) with 0000 steel wool (our best friend). Last was a rubdown with an old bath towel.
The V's made it through, as did the decals. There wasn't a whole lot of them to begin with, so i'm glad there was very little to no loss on them.

The most I could make out is BEST, Best Bicycle, Memphis Tennessee, ???? Jackson Ave. Might say Tennyson on the top, which may have been a local hardware store back in the day.
Found the fluid film at the local John Deere/implement store. Its kind of like PB blaster, but a lot thicker/stickier and dosen't seem to evaporate very fast.

Hub is dated C3, 1933. Even though the wheels match, the rear hub must have been switched out. I seriously doubt that it's a '33. No serial # anywhere on the frame. There is the same frame w/tank on the bay right now. I think they are calling it a 38. Thiers has a horn in the tank and a rear dropstand (no shock-ease). I have read somewhere that the shockease was only made in '41&'42, is that correct?
Johnny

dougfisk said:
...Shelbys are harder to date than some others because they had varying components that they phased in and out seemingly at random, and in almost infinite and unexpected combinations... But I am betting it is a wartime bike.

The reasons I said wartime -

1) Around 1942, (post Dec 7, 1941), the "V's" as seen on your fenders became a popular cultural symbol of our national solidarity and focus on Victory after our entry into WW2.

2) I have seen many different fenders on Shelbys, but never before these. They sure look to me like Westfield (Columbia) fenders. I do not know if Westfield manufactured them or sourced them from another vendor, but here they are, OEM on a Shelby! I theorize that this could be a result of supplier disruptions caused by wartime maufacturing priorities.

3) Notice also, the fenders are attached to the braces with slotted screws instead of rivets. I have a wartime Shelby with this same feature.

RatSphinx said:
Congrats on the cleanup. I hope mine cleans up as well.
Thanks. Yours looks better than mine off the bat. It should clean up as well or better. Post pics when its done.
Johnny

arrrrgh, please sell me the tank !! I bought a Shelby just like that 5 months ago and haven't been able to find the tank, let me know what you want for it and if you take paypal or you need a postal money order, Thanks
MERC

Back