I fought the crank, and the crank won (so far)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had the bright idea yesterday that i'd spend a few hours putting a rear suspension set up on big red. For those unfamiliar with it, red's my 9 foot long chopper, a head turner for sure, but murder on my back even with the sprung seat. I was given a dual suspension mountain bike(about 2 months old) that had been backed into by a car. The rear wheel was tacoed and 1 brake boss had been bent, but it was essentially o.k. for what I wanted.
Heres red, and an identical 2nd bike I picked up afterwards for a song;
chop1.jpg

PICT0047.jpg

The rear yellow section is what I planned to transplant. I figured maybe 1/2 hr to strip the suspension, then i'd start hacking on red. :roll:
Well, 3 hours later, I finally managed to pop 1 pedal arm off. :x :x :x This particular bike has the new style 3 piece sealed bearing crank, where the arms are held on by bolts as opposed to nuts like i'm used to. I had presumed that being pretty much new, it would practically fall apart! Folks, you all know what happens when u assume something right? :oops: Only U werent there, which left me feeling like the u know what!
Anyway, once I had 1 arm off I was able to remove the locknuts and bearings from the bare side, and with the help of my fave B.F.H., eventually persuade the crank axle to pop out of the crank arm. I still cant get the bearing race/retainer whatchamacallit out of the crank side. :( The ol hammer n screwdriver trick resulted in a chewed up driver, and it also mauled the teeth on both sides of the jaws of a pair of vice grips :!:
stuckcup.jpg

Heres the mock-up of what i'd hoped to get finished yesterday.
redmockup.jpg

Needless to say the welder got put away unused, because this was the next problem, the mtn bikes frame is aluminum, and reds frame is steel, so now I need to find some steel pipe/stock to make the new pivot point out of.
bushingnbolt.jpg

So until I can persuade that cup outta there, and maguyver a new pivot, red is still gonna give my back dickens. :?
Tell me again why I think this is fun ?
Thanks for allowing the rant, and Happy Easter to you and yours,
Rick

dude i really like the look of that chopper! it does look like it would kill your back though! i think itll look really custom with the swingarm like that.

Easy E

Ive been out of the loop is that a store bought chopper Rick? I just read the cross bar its a lanark chopper bike I see the guy who built those bikes at the car shows hes into hot rods now. I have his card around here some where they were real expensive bikes at one time.

Thanks guys, Pete, I actually found red on kijiji, saw the ad and emailed the guy asking for more pics. He replied that his garage was snowed in, so I wound up waiting all winter! Spring came, and I emailed him again. Sure enough, he still had it, sent pics, and delivered it! He told me he had it built for nearly a grand, but I got it for 1/5th of that. Seems the wifey had told him it was time to sell off his toys, they were starting a family. :wink:
I'm not 100% sure why the ride seems so rough though? My leather brooks saddle on the 71 raleigh doesnt have nearly as much spring as reds seat, but I only get saddle sore from it, not a backache like red gives me.
Maybe it's from holding that long front with the 26 incher at low speeds?
I do know the faster it goes, the better it feels :mrgreen:
Rick

just to let you know Rick for some reason my password and login went down and since I started I changed my email so I needed to reup so for now Im cyclejunk

Your back is probably taking a pounding from those drag bars. I'd opt for a set with the grips closer to me. Sweet looking ride regardless.

We really wanna see that swingarm hooked up!!!! Chop Chop!!!!

Back