I need help with pedal removal!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased a 1964 Schwinn Traveler off of CL. I am tearing it completely apart and putting it back together for safety sake, and well just for the fun.

I have a question about removing the pedals.

Here are some pics:

Bike on Workbench
64SchwinnonWorkbench.jpg

Inside of pedal
Pedal1.jpg

Outside of pedal
Pedal2.jpg

Do I just use a really big phillips head on the inside or is that little dome piece on the outside a cap of some sort?

If its a cap, how do you get it off?

Thanks in advance!!!

use a wrench (15mm or 9/16") it will go between the crank and pedal platform on the axle. the left side (non-drive side) pedal is reversed thread though.

so if your stand on the sprocket side of the bike, counter-clock wise will take the pedal off

if your standing on the side without the sprocket, clock wise will take the pedal off

I will check that out when I get home from work CCR.

I just don't remember seeing a place to put a wrench on the inside of the pedal. But I didn't think of that so I really wasn't looking.

I did know about the reverse thread though.

Ok, will see, if not I will be asking again.

I always had trouble remembering the proper direction for removal until it dawned on me....Always toward the back of the bike.

and if they STILL dont wanna come off, never underestimate the power of PB Blaster!

What ccr said worked!

I didn't notice the two flat sides on the inside.

Know I just have to figure out how to get those cups out of the frame.

Any suggestions?

I'm glad to hear it's a nice bike, was $40 a good price?

iamtheandyman said:

Know I just have to figure out how to get those cups out of the frame.

Any suggestions?

glad it didnt give you any troubles...

as for the cups

put a screwdriver or a punch against the back side of the cup (from the opposite side) and smack it with a hammer :mrgreen: thats more fun that taking pedals off

I tried that but they weren't moving, but they have probably always been on that bike.

So I just need to man up and use some real percussive maintainence. ;)

iamtheandyman said:
I tried that but they weren't moving, but they have probably always been on that bike.

So I just need to man up and use some real percussive maintainence. ;)

sometimes it helps to say the magic words between taps :mrgreen:

I normally take a solid steel bar I got at the local scrap yard and a hammer from the back side of the cup. If it doesn't work on the first spot rotate to the other side of the cup, If it still doesn't come out penetrating oil and a bigger hammer.

Or just clean them up and use them as they are, grease the bearings and back together it goes.

Thanks for all the tips!

Will this work for the one on the bottom of the headset too?

I will give it a go tomorrow when I get my alotted bike time.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

g-ratter said:
I always had trouble remembering the proper direction for removal until it dawned on me....Always toward the back of the bike.

Use the brake to hold the crank from turning> :idea: :wink: :oops: That only works with coaster brake. :mrgreen:

Wildcat said:
Or just clean them up and use them as they are, grease the bearings and back together it goes.

This seems like my best alternative. I was wailing on them things and they weren't budging.

Thanks for all the help people!!!!

Just have to wait for one part to come in from the LBS for the 3 speed hub and I'll be in reassemble mode.

Back