I'm a cruise/rat rod guy not BMX, but Boy wants ....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
First: Steve (moderators), if this is sooo off topic please move somewhere appropriate and remove this sentence. :wink:

My fellow rat rod buds, I need a hand. I saw this at the local bike shop today

weblrg.jpg

Premium Solo Plus

I snapped a photo. showed it to Boy and he said: "Do Want!!"

Honestly, I never "got" BMX. I had a nanner seat bike that I rode everywhere, then a ten speed that I rode everywhere. (everywhere means everywhere ... woods, road, sand, jumps, wheelies ... you name it).

I was at the shop looking for a stem for a resto-mod I'm working on. no luck for that, but that thing caught my eye. As usual, I have a good eye. Premium is, according to the kid at the shop (anyone younger than 30 is a kid) a step above Haro. over $400 !!!! :shock: Well I figured I could build something for Boy.

Problem .. I have no frickin idea where to start. I went to Nashbar hoping I could build up a frame. nothing. Is there a way to build a BMX up from scratch and keep the $$ to $200 or hopefully (significantly) under?

Thanks in advance.

well all i can tell you is if he "Do Want" the looks it shouldnt be too hard, but if he wants the parts, that'll probably cost more than the bike off the floor. 3 piece crank with microdrive stuff is expensive, the frame has the "cups" built into the frame and lookslikeit has removable brake boss's (or at least the option to run a detangler). Ask him what he likes about it and find out. My .02

Well, around christmas time danscomp has a super sale type thing and you get stuff for cheap (ex. My friend got a Sunday 3rd wave frame for 260$) and you can get a micro drive rear wheel, the stolen revolver, for 89$ and the front for only like 40 or 50. Really, ifyou know when to buy, you can get stuff for wicked cheap off of dans. And if you purchase out of the scratch and dent section, you save big.

Thanks Jeremy and Charlie for the helpful input.

Sunday 3rdWave? Stolen Revolver? Micro Rear?

see my problem? :lol: :lol:

I just want to build him a bike that won't fall apart when he strts jumping I guess. Can one get a frame for less than $100? Can I use a mid 90's Mongoose wheel set? Repurposing is the direction I was thinking of going. If he digs it and uses it. then I'll get him something hot like above.

thanks again, guys.

most of the kids that come around my place brag about the name, they talk about a bike being high tensile as if it was titanium with gold plating, they don't care as long as their friends thinks its cool. Lots of dynos, mongooses and GT's. The older kids seem to know a little better on parts cost/quality but I haven't ever seen anything break other than loose cranks and wheel hubs that look like they've been taken apart and werent put back together right. Lots of stripped parts and bent spokes/rims. The bent wheels are more often from them jumping off their bikes and letting them crash into a wall or something. Oddly enough theres lots of girls on high dollar BMX bikes than boys, mostly just color matched sorta of stuff though ordered through Dans Comp or Albes. I've seen a lot of nicer (LBS quality) bikes come through my lbs that some kid spray bombed and traded in for cheap. The bike shop hates dealing with them since they look so rough and usually sells them for what they got in them to the regulars just to get them gone.

For what it's worth, I saw a DK BMX bike at Walmart with chromoly main tubes and microdrive for $219 a few days ago.

thatismytruck said:
Thanks Jeremy and Charlie for the helpful input.

Sunday 3rdWave? Stolen Revolver? Micro Rear?

see my problem? :lol: :lol:

I just want to build him a bike that won't fall apart when he strts jumping I guess. Can one get a frame for less than $100? Can I use a mid 90's Mongoose wheel set? Repurposing is the direction I was thinking of going. If he digs it and uses it. then I'll get him something hot like above.

thanks again, guys.

It can be confusing t first, but danscomp has some cheap frames on there. On most new non-walmart bmx bikes the axle size is 14mm, so unless you made a shim, the mongoose wheel wouldn't fit. Or at walmart, they carry a "hyper co" bmx, that is only 99$ and it has the really small rear sprocket. They are good bikes, but the tires wear fast.

Yep, hyperco is pretty decent. Then later on find a name brand frame on Craigslist and swap parts over. :mrgreen:

too bad you're still not working in this area... cuz Cutting Edge could hook you up with what he wants at a good price. Might even be worth a drive up after work someday. They are in Kensington, right near here (work).

but if you'd rather do it all online, how about Danscomp?

Check out my mini-build: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=59109

I got the bike with trashed wheels from a kid around here. I can imagine finding something similar by watching Craigslist. It was not a microdrive bike but I got a bent front small sprocket and had a friend flatten it in his press then I repainted it. The wheelset came from one of the Hyperco Mike Spinner bikes. $100 at Walmart, but I got a used one for about $10, so that completed my microdrive setup. I threw on the green grips and chain, some pedals I had laying around, and the Hyperco seat. Since the last photo I have put a set of black alloy Diamondback pedals ($14) on it and an urban camo Diamondback saddle ($16).

All the kids that come to my house lately have sunk decent money into nice BMX bikes and they all want my old Haro.

All I'm saying is, a cheap build is possible with "found" parts and can turn into an impressive build.

Back