Installing handbrakes using a bracket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I am going to install a set of handbrakes on a bike that the common size doesn't fit. I've also done this to add a handbrake where the frame has no provision for mounting a brake.

I need front and rear brakes on this bike, so this will show how brackets can be made to work.
The rear of this bike is made for an old set of center pull brakes, so the side pull brakes are too long for the pads to make contact with the rim.
DSCI0327_zpssidui8yv.jpg

The forks are 27", with a 24" wheel, so the arms aren't long enough. So, one bracket will mount the brake lower, and the other will mount it higher.
DSCI0329_zpsqfjcxyau.jpg

First, the metal should be thick enough, about 1/8", to hold the brakes, with one plate on each side of the frame tubes. I have thin sheet metal, so I'm doubling the pieces to make sure they are strong enough. There will be 4 plates per brake, 2 on each side of the frame tubes or fork.
DSCI0330_zps0ronyg4v.jpg

I measured and made a template on a pice of cardboard as to the size and shape of the plates that will. On this bike the same shape will work for the front and rear, but the holes will be drilled in different locations.

I used shears to cut because the metal is thin, but when I had 1/8" steel, I used a hacksaw and dremel cutting disk.

After cutting, I cleaned them up with a small grinding wheel.
DSCI0332_zpsq5cek985.jpg

Next will be the drilling of the holes where they will mount to the frame and forks, and then the holes where the brakes will mount.

Here's a previous bracket I made up. Notice it doesn't bolt directly through the frame. If your forks don't have a hole and/or the rear doesn't have a hole either, then this is how it will attach. The problem there is making sure it doesn't come loose, especially on the forks. Bad things could happen. On this, I should have just used the one hole to hold it through the mount in the frame, but I wanted it to be adjustable at the time. This is the same bike as I'm using now.
167le2g.jpg

Latest posts

Back