Is the Muscle Bike Build Off Annual?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah most folks probably have an old ten speed in the garage. It's the most common thing I run into every time someone tells me "I have an old bike you can have ..."

GC

I could possibly join in if this happens. I've been looking for an early 90s road race frame to build. Steel of course.

Skinny builds? Max tire width of 1 1/4" / 32mm and rim diameters from 24" to at least 27". I have multiple off-road and skinny tire build prospects pending and multiple entries could be made fpr either of those two categories. Like last Winter's BO, I'd probably even build another muscle bike.

Skinny builds? Max tire widthi of 1 1/4" / 32mm and rim diameters from 24" to at least 27". I have multiple off-road and skinny tire build prospects pending and multiple entries could be made fpr either of those two categories. Like last Winter's BO, I'd probably even build another muscle bike.
But there's quite a few good options kicking it up to 1.5" tire

Too big?

I hope so
View attachment 197348
That blue and white beauty is long overdue for a resto.*
The last one ran from Nov 1/21 to March 1/22 and was combined with an Off Road Build Off. There was plenty of interest, so I assume the next will be similar. Combining themes seems to help keep the numbers up during the off season, each was run as a separate class.

*Lol just realized that the GT is front is an option for the off road Build Off, and if I do muscle again, I will have missed TWO Off Road contests in a row. Decisions decisions.
Looks like @MattiThundrrr could do both

Just about any road, touring or fixie bike should be fine. Skinnies on gravel work but some wider tires would roll you into the "off-road" class. I'd consider 1.75 too wide, I wouldn't run those on the front of my "dragster" builds. They look too wide even with a fatty on back. So in my mind that's too wide for a skinny tire class. 29er's all of that stuff is too big, it's off road.
My thinking being Muscle, Off-Road, Skinny, 3 classes. Don't take anything away from last years build off but add a class.

GC.

Even though Muscle Bikes are my least favorite they are still one of the most popular. I think we should keep them going for the Winter BO. That said, we also have had a second class/category like Offroad or BMX which lets the klunkers get in the buildoff without resorting to banana seats and apes ( which you might like but come on, they're NOT muscle bikes ) The thought comes to mind, why not a third category? I've been here 9 yrs and we talk about skinny tire builds and folks squeeze them into other build offs when they can but we've never had a SKINNY TIRE class in any build off. How about it, is it time, is there an interest?

GuitarlCarl
I've been rounding up junk for a skinny build and pretty much have enough parts on hand to get started. If skinny happens, I'm in.

So, remember, newbie here...is a skinny tire bike a stripped down road bike? Is @rickpaulos 's RBAF a skinny bike? Because that bike is sweet. That's a really nice to-work commuter bike.

I think that's what the conversation is trying to iron out

Sorry for highjacking your thread but seemed like a good place to keep the conversations grouped

Good stuff

Where are some skinny tire guys at with opinions

@Karate Chicken Industries @Jude Ephesus @ifitsfreeitsforme

Who else?
So….. I got plenty of skinny tire bikes I could do!!!!

I also have a 66 (?) stingray and a junior stingray frame I could do. But I don’t use those like skinny tire bikes.

I’d definitely prefer the larger, skinny tire bikes in.

Maybe we just call it the WBO: winter build off and have classes set up for wheel size: 20” & 24” class and a 26” and over class?

I see value in Carl's idea of a Skinny Tire special. We all know those bikes are out there waiting to be ratted. Muscle bikes are big, off road rats are coming up, let's try to pull the speedy rats along for the ride. @ingola and I were tossing around a couple of mixte up ideas a few weeks back, but I can't remember if they involved skinnies

I see value in Carl's idea of a Skinny Tire special. We all know those bikes are out there waiting to be ratted. Muscle bikes are big, off road rats are coming up, let's try to pull the speedy rats along for the ride. @ingola and I were tossing around a couple of mixte up ideas a few weeks back, but I can't remember if they involved skinnies
It can if we want I was thinking of a skinny muscle bike with my Raleigh colt
IMG_20220612_220335762_HDR.jpg

I have two of these

In the meantime I have a stack of skinny tire frames. Schwinn diamond frames in 26" & 27" tires. I've got a couple Nishiki that take 700. I've got a cool old Sears in black with pool stick graphics I think it's a 26 x 1 3/8 there's more in the boneyard, I'd have to go look.

GC

Repainting my Schwinn Varsity right now. It has 35mm rear tire and a 40mm front tire. Kind of a mini mullet. However it is going back together as is and being ridden on dirt and pavement. I think your skinny tire might work, always looking forward to the saw and glue folks to astound me with their cunning craftsmanship. I do ride gravel on a 32mm Gatorskin equipped bike quite successfully.

Latest posts

Back