is this bs?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes it is as far as i know there were two prototype grape krates made and i think one is still around the other is lost. this one has to be a fake as he does not refer to how rare it would be if it were a real grape krate. bid carefully if u do

i'm not a scholar on krates and sting-rays, so take this w/ a grain of salt.

from the guys description and fromt the looks of the bike i think it's a clone.

remember back in the late 60s and 70s when most every motorhead changed up or built up their pontiac lemans to be a GTO.
that's what it looks like to me.

take it for what it is. caviat emptor.

I'd say it's not original, that bike was on ebay a while back also. Hyper-formance does "Grape Krate" screening so I'd say he painted it purple, got the guard screened and threw a violet seat on it.

trust me it is not an original grape krate i am not a krate expert but i do know 100% that there were only a very very vew made and since he really did not refrence at all to how rare a grape krate is and it is obviously repainted then it is a fake. a krate? maybe but not a super rare version of a stingray. is it cool sure i dont think it is that cool though

The dead give away is the rear "Atom" brake hub. There was never a Krate produced with an Atom rear hub that I am aware of.Probably used a Coaster frame and thats why it was done. Also, how is a Pete seat an NOS part? I could call Pete tomorrow and get that seat.I'm not saying its not a gorgeous bike with lots of high $ parts on it!It certainly is that. Its just that a lot of his description(Hype) does'nt wash! :wink: Later & PEACE!!!!

sensor said:
ask him to post a picture of the serial #.......
if there were only 2 made it should be easy to tell(im sure one of the schwinnophiles would know what it might be)

ask him for a couple before the resto pic's. :)

a very cool bike, but if its true that there are only two in existance, it is highly unprobable that his is original and authentic. if i were the seller, id boast of ser# authenticity of thisbike. and like allready mentioned, some of the parts just don't match up. sweet bike though and i hope its worth the $1500+ the new owner bidded for it.

$1500? :shock: wow, that's a lot of money for a repro!

I don't think he claims that it is an original grape, just a super nice restoration. Looks like a mix of original Krate and '98-'99 repop parts to me. I wonder why he did a coaster krate sprocket and chainguard :| Nonetheless, I'd love to own/ride it, just not for that much dough.

Zip-ties??!!!!, Really?, ugh.
$1575 winning bid, yikes! Krates are literally more valuable than gold. Even if they aren't original.

necessaryevil said:
I don't think he claims that it is an original grape, just a super nice restoration. Looks like a mix of original Krate and '98-'99 repop parts to me. I wonder why he did a coaster krate sprocket and chainguard :| Nonetheless, I'd love to own/ride it, just not for that much dough.

looks like he took a 1999 grape krate (schwinn made the grape krate in 1999) and he turned it into a 5 speed like the original krates. hes probably got a bunch of $ sank into it, but its not an original 60s/70s bike. the rear atom is likely because the 99's were coaster brake bikes (no rear brake mount and hence the coaster guard) hes got a pete seat, grips and crossflag caps in the original 60's violet color, the frame and chainguard color from 99 was called "grape" as far i know.

Back