Is this real? Did I really find this? More parts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0395.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG
I went to See Victor for a rack and handlebar. Got the handlebar and the rack turned out to be for a 24 inch. And then I asked if he had any more frames for sale. He said yes but it will be expensive. When he told he how much I said I didnt even want to see it. Then we were looking for a chainguard and I saw it. Once I saw this piece of the Holy Grail, I knew I had to have it

It is an Elgin Falcon. This is all I have for now and my bike money for the next few months is gone. This will be like the old car body a guy finds and spends a few years restoring and it will be worth the wait

Really jelly, fantastic find :praise:

Sweet frame never seen one before looks like it's ready for the powder cote shop

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Maybe eventually. But for now Im officially broke for a while in bike money. I will have to take my time and seriously decide which way to go with it. I could build it up as a ratrod tomorrow or really research and restore it correctly. In the meantime i might just stare at it for a while. Any info or leads or tips would be appreciated. Either way I go with it has to be right. I have a few other bikes I would gladly sacrifice in trade for any correct parts for it

Great score! Never seen one with the matching rack before, I hope you keep them together!
I would not separate this stuff and am leaning towards the correct fork. Tank is awesome but super expensive. Not really a fan of the stock fenders but the last two things I have wanted on a bike are correct for this bike. They are crossover handlebars and a rear centerstand

What a great foundation! I knew that Elgin produced a lot of bird-themed bikes, but I'd never seen of heard of a Falcon before.
Neither have I. In the book Evolution of the bicycle volume 1, there is a pic of a complete one and also a full page black and white ad of it. Its weird how the bike circle is. A friend in San Rafael sent thse pics to a collector he knows and he has a complete one and wanted to buy mine which he was told NO. Im trying to get some pics of his bike sent. It wont be a quickie build nor will it be done any time soon.

Morrow hubs were stamped with a date code. There's a thread at The Cabe with lots of date code info:

http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/serial-number-and-date-code-information.71542/

The Sears catalog specifies only "aviation type coaster brake". There's an excellent and invaluable collection of catalog reprints available:

elginbook.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291992968938

From my experience I'd say the original hub would probably have been a smooth-shell (not air-cooled) Musselman Model M. Those are date-coded as well.

Congratulations! Great frame. Rare find. Seems like the last thing you'd ever want to do, would be to powdercoat that bike.
I really like it the way it is. If I ever find the right fork and other parts I would leave them all with their finish as is

Morrow hubs were stamped with a date code. There's a thread at The Cabe with lots of date code info:

http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/serial-number-and-date-code-information.71542/

The Sears catalog specifies only "aviation type coaster brake". There's an excellent and invaluable collection of catalog reprints available:

View attachment 44199
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291992968938

From my experience I'd say the original hub would probably have been a smooth-shell (not air-cooled) Musselman Model M. Those are date-coded as well.
Thank You, I will look into the Cabe, i didnt know it existed. Do you think a morrow would at least be period correct? Its one that I have now. I could lace it on and use it for now

Latest posts

Back