J.C. Higgins Murray Flightliner *Updated

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My scrapyard friend sent me a text today.. his latest grab for me...

my first J.C. Higgins branded bike

1328909747326.jpg

1328909752984.jpg

not sure if it was chrome, or if someone spray-painted it at one time.. wont be able to go out and grab it till early next week... will post some better pics then

any clues as to a model/year?

Re: J.C. Higgins Murray

Thats an excellent find.Nice rat trap springer and a cool tank style!! We all need a buddy at the scrapyard!
The chainguard and tank style look like a Spaceliner or possibly a Flightliner. Its definately pre-1961 as Sears JC higgins name was dropped in 1961.JC Higgins was a sears employee rewarded with a product line name by sears for long term employment 1898-1930.They replaced the prodcut line (JC Higgins) with Ted Williams

couldn't tell if it had the top double bars.. didn't the Spaceliner and Flightliners both have double top bars? I've always kinda wanted one of them.. prob just clean this up a bit and clear coat it and ride it rough.. like that most of it is here so it adds to the survivor feel to it.

cool info one the name J.C. Higgins never knew that.. great way to pay respect... hoped he at least liked bikes haha

Its a flightliner Iwould think---do you have double top bars? I cant see in the pic.Here is a 1960 with double top bars. The spaceliner frame is different.
thumbnail.jpg

Here is a 1959 with single top bar
thumbnail-1.jpg

double
thumbnail-2.jpg

Apparently some were double some single

the more i look at the Flightliner the more I lean towards that... the red tipped forks i see on both so it has to be one or the other lol

can"t see the top tubes in the pics he sent, but am pretty sure it's a Flightliner...

can't wait to pick it up next week now... any rough clue as to what it would cost to rechrome it

jalopyjimmy13 said:
n pretty much all the sports goods had j.c. higgins name n i belive it was 62 the last year they used it
might have wound down in 62 but I do know that according to Sears Web Archive they claim 1961.I looked all this JC Higgins stuff up last year trying to figure out my Flightliner,thats the only reason I know anything about it. Heres the link http://www.searsarchives.com/brands/jchiggins.htm

Yep this is my 60 Flightliner, double top bars.I dont know if it was the year that detirmaned witch were chrome frames or red frames. Sulley

001-5.jpg

and this is my 62 Spaceliner, very different frames.
005-2.jpg

Sulley said:
Yep this is my 60 Flightliner, double top bars.I dont know if it was the year that detirmaned witch were chrome frames or red frames. Sulley

001-5.jpg

and this is my 62 Spaceliner, very different frames.
005-2.jpg

I admit to a passion for Schwinns but good grief space and flightliners are hot! These frame/tank styles truly drive me nuts..must....get.....one..now!(and keep it this time)

The chrome frame Flightliner was new for 1961, and was replaced sometime in '63 by the Spaceliner. It took a while to use up the leftover JCH marked parts. The '64 catalog shows the imported touring bike still sporting the JCH chainring. -Adam

thanks for the wealth of info and pictures... when I went to pick it up today I was able to tell them all about it... you guys make me look so smart sometimes :D

anywho.. here it is..

2012-02-16_17-04-54_865.jpg

2012-02-16_17-05-24_855.jpg

lights and i presume a horn in the tank.. haven't opened it up yet to test anything out yet tho
2012-02-16_17-05-08_995.jpg

looks like it lost the light up rear light...
2012-02-16_17-07-38_184.jpg

and here's another surprise..
2012-02-16_17-07-07_692.jpg

2012-02-16_17-07-22_754.jpg

my first automatic...

rode it for a second today.. original Sears tires still hold air and have lots of life left in them, but had to stop as the rear wheel seemed like it has some issues.. so I may have to learn myself (from you good folks) how to work on a auto hub.

Back