"Jazzy-Ray"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
love watching you builds man, keep the fantastic work coming :D

Nothing to really update. I think I mentioned that I like to start builds and restos with the wheels. So over the past couple days I've been overhauling the hubs for 4 projects I'm juggling at once (like an idiot) and cleaning up the rims. In addition, I started on the sissy spring kit.

but... uhhhhhh...

it came with no directions. I found some on the net. Hopefully I don't flub this up. After I laid all this out, scratched my head, and made a few expletives, I boxed it up and went back to the wheels. I have a feeling I'm going to do this wrong, and it scares me.

njcr.jpg

They probably ASSUME o_O
you have an old one and are replacing it...
Good start man.

Carl.

Finally got the spokes in. I prepped the rims which includes a thorough rust removal and polishing, then I spray the insides of the rims with primer to protect them and keep the rust from coming back. (I do this with all my resto wheel rebuilds).

The focus motor on the lens I like to our DSLR crapped out, so I had to try to focus the pics manually... and failed. :/

Here's the before...

358145.jpg

and the after. I still need to tension and true them.

b71f51.jpg

Well, one of my pet peeves is old spokes. I've seen beautiful, Shiney restorations that have had a lot of their brilliance degraded, in my opinion, because they kept the original spokes. They lose their finish and look dull and lifeless, and that bugs me. I want them to catch the sun when they roll and really illuminate the bike. So I end up rebuilding the wheels to start a resto. Or in this case I have to rebuild the rear because of the rim change, so I'm rebuilding the front to match.

hmmmm.... August 4th, right? I don't think I'm going to make it. There's a lot going on, and her brithday isn't until August 21st. I don't want to rush the build for the contest. I'll try to keep on track, but we'll see.

Actually the deadline is the evening of Aug 3rd. Good luck!

On a good note, I got my final paper done for my Master's program. On a bad note, it will cost me a BONINE finish. So this build could just be moved to the regular "Builds" forum.

Ok, tonight I got back in the garage. Threw the Felt Shorty fender on. I pre-pinched the fender to fit in the frame just like I had done on my Monster. But low and behold the brake brace is in a different spot!

XDAjQF.jpg

Well, as you may be able to see, not only is the tab way off, but I had to adjust the pinch down the fender. Essentially I ruined it. Another one is going on order. I'm going to pinch that one in the right spot the first time. I'm also going to drill out the tab, take my grinder and cut in a new slot farther up, fasten it in the right spot, then figure out some sort of cover for the old holes.

On a good note, I got the wheels tensioned and trued.

XFV2kH.jpg

Looking good Crash.
I too, take on too much at once.

Carl. :headbang:

Latest posts

Back