JB Weld and other such shortcuts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a cold weld epoxy such as JB Weld do the trick for frame building or do I need to invest in an actual welder?

On the current project(s), I had a girl down at the welding lab at school help me out (they dont like outsiders touching their equipment) but summer's here and my connection won't be around. I used a DAP metal epoxy for some filling and handlebar assembly and I'm impressed with its fortitude. JB Weld is supposed to be the even better... 600 degree resistance and two-ton shear strength.

Thoughts?

well you got to ask "do i wanna die riding this" for the frame and forks i would weld them. bells and whistles you could poxy or jb them but if you can weld it all safty is an issue here.

my two cents take it as you will

i ve used jb weld on a million things in my life ...maybe to fix a break and get you home but i dont think it would hold up to the bouncing and jaring i would give a frame just riding through town ... its good stuff ... but not for a long term answer...

.theres bound to be a welder out there that will help out someone like you ... shoot i love to weld when i run out of projects i crave a good mig fix ....

....but if you plan on building or fabricating things, maybe you should get your own......

well now you up to 4 cents worth

thanks guys.

any recomendations on welders? Clarke makes a pretty cheap stick welder for 110V (idont have a 220V outlet) or should i spend the "big bucks" on a lincoln wire fed? any other ideas?

i run a hobart wirefeed with argon gas (110v)... its was a bit pricey but i love the way it works .... smooth welds and can handle up to a 1/4 inch thick steal...

stick welders are good but on bike frames i think its easier to have a wire feed ... my brother has a small clarke stick welder and it doesnt have the consistantcy of the hobart .... but i guess that could be my lack of practice with it too

just my thoughts

I got my welder at a flea market for $75...the guy selling it was an idiot...instead of buying new tips for larger wire, he drilled his tip (and drilled too much!)

came w/ a gas attachment...with the new tips i spent $80 (welder + tips)

look around...deals are out there

Alot of us run the Harbor freight wirefeeders. They plug into standard house current (in the U.S. anyways) and are around 120.00. We've got two that we use (one at my shop and one at Big Daddy's) and they seem to do the trick! I weighed a little over 3oo lbs. when we got them and the welds have held up pretty good so far. They are a little messy from the afterweld so you got to get better at welding or grinding. So far I'm getting really good at grinding! :mrgreen:

i have a Lincoln Electric 140.

cost $400 + change...

i havent got it set up for gas yet, though i do have the parts to do so.

i have been using fluxcore wire thus far, til i get the gas...

oct.

Chainsaw said:
They are a little messy from the afterweld so you got to get better at welding or grinding. So far I'm getting really good at grinding! :mrgreen:

my hobart is messy as all get out .. we should have a weld grinding contest!...

2 minutes to weld it 34 minutes to stop people from laughing at the the first 2 minutes

Back