JB Weld, Liquid Nail

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i wanted to cut a decorative piece of metal for a bike, and that piece had no structural use and did not have any stress applied to it - just a decorative addition - would jb weld or liquid nail be good enough to hold that piece to a frame or fork, then paint over it?
thanx
fast eddie outty

well, ive never done it before, but if your painting over it i wouldnt use liquid nails, itll trap moisture under the painted add-on and the painting results may be less than satisfactory.

i wouldnt be afraid to try jb weld tho, but if want it to look "flush" on the bike, maybe use body filler to fill in and gaps athe edges. in fact i think ?cman? added a bottle opener headbadge with jb weld in the first build off, id have to check to be certain tho. :wink:

theres link (glad i looked too, i forgot how cool those lights were on that bike)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=541&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

JB Weld works great for stuff like that. It it is truly non-structural, you could even use jb Kwik. Same stuff, but sets up quite a bit quicker. about 500 lbs less tensile strength, but you woun't have to hold it in place for 24 hours, and from my experience it will run a lot less, which means easier cleanup. But both are primer/paintable. I would also stay away from liquid nails... If you need something with a little give/flex, a product called Amazing Goop(I know, I know, dumb name...) works well. Comes in household/automotive grades. I reccomend automotive. It's similar to ShoeGoo, and can also be used on shoes. I have made a pair of chuck taylor alstars last for years with this stuff...

There's this metal epoxy stuff, I think it's called Fast Steel, they sell at Lowe's and Home Depot. It can be sanded, drilled, tapped, painted, etc. I used it to "remold" a Schwinn frame that I raked a while back.

Back