JC HIGGINS 50'S ERA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I just recieved a 50's era JC Higgins Flightliner from my father. It is all original and complete. Basically, my Dad rode it a few times as a kid and it was stored in my grandparents basement for the last 50 or so years. Im trying to identify the year (Ill post pics tomorrow) I have all the paperwork with the bike. Also including part numbers, headlight assembly, bike care, etc. The serial number is 454947. There was also another number of 502-46160. Any help would be appreciated.....

Also, my brother in law took off the tank to clean all the electrical. Does anyone know how to get the tank back on?

Value and opinions are always welcome too! :D

Thanks!

Joe

On Sears bikes, the # after 502 is the catalog #, the important one! 4616 is the # of a chrome frame 1961 Flightliner with a single speed/coaster brake. List price was $57.95, and it had a red metallic tank and rear rack. Typically the catalog #'s on the bike have an extra 0 at the end as they are on this one. Neat find, can't wait to see it! -Adam

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here it is all orginal never molested. The tailight works, but the headlight and horn don't. Everything is in tack though. Im curious what you guys think its worth??

From what I gathered from the web it's an early 60's Higgins, I of course could be wrong. I have the same, missing a few things, but I really want that piece that connects the 2 forks (whatever it's called). I've cleaned up since the photos with new white walls and such and alot of polishing, ride it daily.
4590911526_b3ea07832d_b.jpg

I'm scared to start putting value on things on here, I'm kinda new to this. But yours does looks really nice with everything. Around me vintage bikes don't sell on craigslist, unless they are really low. I see the same posts every other day. I would ask 175, and see what happens, probably not going to get that (around me) unless you reach a guy who loves it like most of us, and it's not a schwinn. But I would be happy with 150. I would never sell mine!

I'm sure alot of these guys might critique my appraisal, but I welcome it.

having the tank and being more or less complete is a plus. i would personally take some time cleaning the chrome but thats me these bikes look so pretty with clean chrome. i would say that price as is is pretty close. out here in ca it may go for a bit more but as is sure.

DET313 said:
I really want that piece that connects the 2 forks (whatever it's called).

thats a "rat trap" style springer. yours are truss rods of a sort. maybe made for carrying things? your not missing any connecting piece or pieces. notice his also has pivoting rockers at the axle which move and push up to the spring to absorb the shock. sweet bikes :D

joeker82 said:
No idea on worth? Its a 61'
I've seen these on ebay in really nice condition get into the $300 range. Of course, many times it's just two bidders who want it! $200 would be average. -Adam

I also got the tailight and headlight working. The horn was working this morning...But, now its not. Tempremental!?! 2 outta 3 ain't bad! :D

Back