Junkyard Find 26" 1973 Ross Europa I

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a local salvage yard that keeps the bikes seperate from the rest of the scrap. I go there once in awhile but all they usually have is Walmart junk. The last time I went I found a Ross (probably not much better that a Walmart bike) but I could tell it was old. Weird thing is it had the original price tag on it and some of the parts had never been installed and were still tied on with little bumpy zip tie thingies. The seat had reflectors still tied under it and the rear fender reflector had never been installed. The bike was far from mint from sitting out in the elements but I felt it had never been used....maybe a little and maybe not at all. So here's the scrap yard.

Photo04141136.jpg

I find the Ross and buy it for scrap resale rate...$4.00. Here it is at home.

aa12.jpg

Took it apart and start cleaning it up. The bearings and races are literally brand new after cleaning the waxy grease off. Now that the bike checks out ok, I am fixing it up for my fiance. Tried apes on for size...she didn't like.

aa3.jpg

So next step is to mock it up....again to see how she'll like it. She won't let me go real crazy as far as modifications go cuz she wants to ride this a bunch. Seems ok so far.

S6304051.jpg

S6304052.jpg

Finally it was rideable. New tires, rim strips, seat and grips. Everything else serviced. We both agreed the handlebars weren't that comfortable so I changed them for some new mt bike bars I bought along time ago.

S6304086.jpg

S6304088.jpg

Well maybe not as Rat Rod Bike as I had hoped it would be, but it was cool to keep some of the originality but improve it for rideability. This thing rides like a dream. We might add a rear rack later but I think that's about it.

This was the first skinny tire bike I've ever done. Now I want a skinny 26"x1 3/8" on the frt of my old BF Goodrich Challenger.

Oh and I got the other find done too. It's a 60s Sears Spyder.

Photo04181828.jpg

After some love.

S6304059.jpg

S6304057.jpg

S6304061.jpg

The Spyder is going on Craigslist. It was fun to fix up but I have no use for it.

Back