Just a Quick Bike Check.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I haven't posted very much on this site, my time has been consumed with work, gym and a POS Haro. Im looking to start a project for the wife. Could some one give me any help in IDing this bike? It looks pretty cool, I was honestly wondering if its worth the time and money. Could anyone fathom a guess at a model? http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/bik/2151961508.html

Thanks,
The Dev

if it's a 1960 as the add says it could be a fairlady, catalina, co-ed, hollywood, spitfire, tornado, or if it has tank mounts could also be a starlet, debutante, or deluxe tornado. hard to tell from the pic.

I'd say for $40 it'd be worth it as a project or just in parts.

Also what kind of POS Haro???

I was thinking that it looks like a Hollywood. Is there a specific serial I should look for to indicate year and model? The haro is an '03 F3 that was left in the woods to rot. It had been back there for a while, I've had it for about 3 months and I'm just now getting all the dirt and grime out af all of the bits and pieces. I have the opportunity to get this Schwinn or another haro. A 1997 Haro Shredder to be exact. I might just wait on the other Haro however.

Who would leave an almost new haro in the woods? some people. If you were closer I've got a '54 Schwinn Wasp frame, fork, crank, chainguard, and fenders. I'd trade you for the haro. and throw in some other parts to make it ride.

I think the only reason I still have the F3 is because I'm a weight lifter, but I absolutely HATE doing cardio of any sort, but when I hopped on this bike and started hopping over random stuff, I felt like I was 10 years old again. Out of breath, and giggling like a kid because I must look rediculous being a 250 pound man riding a chrome 20" bike. It was nice, much better than any treadmill I've ever been on.

PhillyDev said:
I think the only reason I still have the F3 is because I'm a weight lifter, but I absolutely HATE doing cardio of any sort, but when I hopped on this bike and started hopping over random stuff, I felt like I was 10 years old again. Out of breath, and giggling like a kid because I must look rediculous being a 250 pound man riding a chrome 20" bike. It was nice, much better than any treadmill I've ever been on.

I know the feeling, I still own my 1984 Mongoose Californian. I am going to be building it next summer into a stretched cruiser.

Jacksonville? Small world. Check out Hanna park for trail riding.

I zoomed in on the pic, the forks are bent backward. They most probably can be straightened though, so I would see if I could get it a little cheaper. It would make a great looking bike. Here's a 64 Schwinn Starlet I fixed up, the forks were bent the same way, a friend put the fork in a big vice and took his time getting them straight:

xo00tt.jpg

zog8kk.jpg

Bent backwards? I don't see it... Then again I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other...

PhillyDev said:
Bent backwards? I don't see it... Then again I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other...

Hard to see from that angle but fork does look to have BFD (bent fork disease). Tires will be an odd size, so you will have to order them online. Scwhinn S7, 26x 1 3/4" .

It's hard to see, but many older bikes have bumped into something and bent the forks back slightly. It makes a big difference in the handling of the bike, even if it's only got an inch bend measured at the axle. One way to look at it is to look at the upper part of the forks (before the lower forward bend to the wheel) and the headtube of the frame. They should be perfectly in line.

One more to add about the Schwinn S-7 rims, the tires only go as wide as the 1 3/4 inch tire that cman mentioned. I prefer a wider tire on a bike like that, so I used a set of standard size wheels I had laying around. Then the tires are abundant and inexpensive, usually 26 x 2.125.

i watched my lbs "straighten" a fork on a girls cruiser once, bent the fork out to where the wheel would clear again, put a new tire on, then realized the fork wasnt bent .. the downtube was ... obviously :shock:

ive also had a couple of girls schwinns that nothing was really obvious as far as damages, but the clearance of the front wheel was tight and the headtube angle was off a bit compared to other schwinns just like it.

My wife was hoping for a springer, i was just hoping to start my pile. Is there a specific size headtube I should look for , or does anyone have an old springer laying around?

Ok fellas! I just got back from picking it up, and I was pleasantly surprised. It is all original, except for the tires, and it's missing the chain guard. Its got the Bendix rear, but I think the rims are shot, so, I'll be keeping the hub, and I guess I'll have to learn to spoke a wheel. It even has the O.G. ringer. But it means nothing without a serial, and some pics. Pics will come this weekend, as the wifey wants to start working on it then, and the serial is L328232. Could some one run a check and give me a date? Does the serial have any indicators as to what model?

I think i may have overpaid for it at $40, however that means absolutely nothing to mt because my wife is absolutely thrilled with it. I will post this as a WIP in the builds section for those whou want to keep up!

The Dev

PhillyDev said:
Ok fellas! I just got back from picking it up, and I was pleasantly surprised. It is all original, except for the tires, and it's missing the chain guard. Its got the Bendix rear, but I think the rims are shot, so, I'll be keeping the hub, and I guess I'll have to learn to spoke a wheel. It even has the O.G. ringer. But it means nothing without a serial, and some pics. Pics will come this weekend, as the wifey wants to start working on it then, and the serial is L328232. Could some one run a check and give me a date? Does the serial have any indicators as to what model?

I think i may have overpaid for it at $40, however that means absolutely nothing to mt because my wife is absolutely thrilled with it. I will post this as a WIP in the builds section for those whou want to keep up!

The Dev

11/11/1963 according to this
http://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101 ... odes3.html

There is no indication for model but you can go here and look at the catalogs for comparison
http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1961 ... ndex1.html

Man would I love to find a Schwinn from 12/7/1941....It'd make the perfect WW2 military bike :wink: too bad the pre-1948 serial records were lost in a factory fire... :roll:

Also you can find what episode of Andy Griffith was on the day your bike was made....I love the internet..... :lol: If you remember watching it as a kid you're older than me and have better memory

Season 4 Episode 7
Black day for Mayberry
http://classic-tv.com/TheAndyGriffithSh ... Guide.html

I was bored and had too much coffee.

11/11/63 is what I found too. Iwas just making sure I wasn't looking at the date chart backwards and upside down. How do you date a bike that was made pre-war? It's features?

I was never a big Andy fan though. I was born in the 80's, so it's MacGuyver, and Star Trek TNG.
Now the Andy Griffith theme song is stuck in my head... I'll be at work soon, so i can get it stuck in someone elses head, so I'm not the only idiot wandering around whistling that song.

Lol, I just though that fit with the bike.....lol. I was trying to find one of those "This day in history" things to fit with it but that's all that came up. I wonder if a bike would be worth more if it was made on for example 11/22/1963 (date Kennedy was shot) I'm sure someone on Ebay would get sentimental over it and bid till their mouse broke.....lol. Some things to tie it to that time in history, I mean think, when your bike was being built we were in the early stages of fighting Vietnam, Kennedy had 11 days left before being shot, most kids were watching Andy Griffith, and John Fitzgerald was born.

I was born in '85 so I didn't watch Andy Griffith either. For me it was Atari, the original Nintendo, and building bikes.....we didn't have cable most times and by the time we finally got it I was hooked on being outside working on something.

As far as I know the only way to date a Pre-1948 Schwinn is to compare it to other known year bikes and guesswork. A factory fire in 1948 destroyed the records but also allowed Schwinn to get all new tooling and that directly resulted in them becoming one of the biggest bike companies in the world.

The catalogs are online, but usually it was the only chain guard that had the model name. Sometimes the paint scheme was different and that would ID it.

From the 63 Catalog, the women's bikes with your style frame all had chrome fenders except for these two, and they looked very similar except for the handle grips and front rack. I'd guess you have a Hollywood if the grips match, I can't find the picture of your bike. It went for 40 bucks new also.

2vuam3p.jpg

dw88rb.jpg

The wheels on this thing are original, and a friggin wreck. I'd like to keep the bendix hub. It's been painted over, and I have no clue how to ID it, does anyone know which bendix model came on this bike? And is there a diagram anywhere for rebuilding it?

Latest posts

Back