Just an opinion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being six feet tall, I can and do enjoy riding 20" bicycles however I can see where one would have a problem as far as comfort goes. But without 20" bikes there would be no Schwinn Stingray or old school BMX in general. 20" bicycles give a collector an advantage as he/she now has more room in his/her garage. 20" bicycles are easier to compact in a car before going on a cruise. 26" cruisers are great and I agree, they're as comfortable as the 20" bikes but do not allow the rider for an easy transport or storage space. 20" bikes are more maneuverable as the turning radius is sharp as opposed to a bicycle with 26" wheels. With banana seat bikes, tilting the apes forward and increasing the seat post height/sissy bar can make the bike feel somewhat like a 26" cruiser with increased leg and arm room but with the abilities as a 20" bike.

20 incher FTW!!! :mrgreen:

DSC03566.jpg

Ok the majority of posts like 20'' bikes ....so send me all your 26'' tank bikes and I will personally restore them. :roll: I'll crawl back in my trailer and give up the save an old bike crusade....Guess the cabe has that covered anyway. :cry: Just thought it would be neat to have a section where restorers could show their stuff and then when you saw the parts they were missing you could sell them that chainguard that you dont know what it fits or that really old morrow hub you have no use for. Oh well I gave it a shot. Back to the cabe looking at a bunch of unrestored pieced together,non matching paint, simi complete tank bikes. :(

It's funny, I read this thread and agree with everyone! 20" or bigger/smaller, There's a place and reason for all of them in a collection. Some like the bigger bikes for their size and classic appeal. Others like the aggressive styles of the smaller bikes. Watever the reasons for collecting or not, the bottomline is that we all have the same interests but different ideals.

Many of the members just don't have the room that the bigger bikes take up. Others live in an area where BMX rules, so there's more out there at cheap or free. Reasons for the larger bikes could be the same. Why two 26" inch bikes when you could have a really nice tandem for you and your wife to ride? Why a trike when two wheels take up less than room than three? Why have a chrome frame when a painted frame doesn't show fingerprints as much? Every collection has a reason. I'm just glad we live in a place that allows us to have hobbies!

I grew up during the musclebike era in a muscle car area. The old stigrays, spyders and others were cool, but to me, not practical. I have never like the heaviness of the old Stingrays, they weighed a ton and were half the size of regular bikes! I had a Typhoon and never looked over my shoulder at my friends musclebikes. Notice I said over my shoulder?!

I did own several variations of 20"ers as a kid but always had my trusty Typhoon. 20" bikes, to me were toys to be played with, tricked out or beat into the ground. The old 26ers were transportation you relied on as a kid/adult.
Now a days we have a couple of Schwinn Pixies, a Roadmaster Harley bike (the black one, been outta the box and pedaled around our storage, but that's it) and a few older 24" to 26" bikes. In our Freak/Rat stables we have every size imaginable and they all get ridden! Sometimes into submission! :mrgreen: Trikes, tandems, 12 1/2, 16" and up if they're ridable they get ridden!

Awhile back a few of the FBM-GL members were talking and a conclusion was reached. We need several bikes for the variations and distances of our rides and events. Although we often share our bikes with others, many of the guys have or are building several bikes to fit the needs of our activities. Most of us also have "loaner bikes" ready for last minute rides or newbies to our hobby.

This was a reat topic and helped to gain some insight of other members.
Thanks Uncle Stretch and all who havbe chimed in!

The grinder/cutoff saw /welder is always smiling and waiting for all sizes, makes and models! Just wether my brain is faster than my trigger finger!

A few months ago I made a comment to Shwinnmesa about my giving him any Stingray parts that I run across. I may be getting a couple of frames towards the fall of this year. I also have some other Stingray parts waiting in a box for you. Nothing special just Stingray parts.

I also have a neighbor who is slowly handing over some of his old bikes. He's given me two of his old LeTours and promised me his original Orange Krate when he decides to get rid of it. Sorry Zach, ya won't be getting this one! I will eagerly accept this Krate and cheerish it, not so much because of what it means top me but what it has meant to him! Great guy who has a very big heart!

i think the 20" musclebikes are fun to ride, not for the long haul, but a blast to get around on. but i prefer to ride middleweights

i also like restoring bikes moreso than customizing them, i dont know why ...just do. ill leave originals alone but a project is a project.

I think we kinda went off the wrong direction. I believe your point was more about investing a bunch of time and money into restoring a 20' rather than a 26". Not so much about who can ride 20"ers. Obviously for an adult a 26" is going to be more comfortable. I'm all for viewing restored bikes it's just doing it that's not for me. I would no more restore a 20" as I would a 26". Maybe my definition of restore is different from others.

if you put it that way, ive decided 90% of bikes will cost more to restore than what they will be worth afterwards.

and if i couldnt ride it, i wouldnt dump a whole lot of time and $ into it. the work has to be fun and what fun is a bike you cant ride. :D

Chainsaw said:
I also have a neighbor who is slowly handing over some of his old bikes. He's given me two of his old LeTours and promised me his original Orange Krate when he decides to get rid of it. Sorry Zach, ya won't be getting this one! I will eagerly accept this Krate and cheerish it, not so much because of what it means top me but what it has meant to him! Great guy who has a very big heart!

Lock up the grinder! Bury it! Kill it! Keep it away from the Krate. :lol:

I guess I shouldnt pick on the 20'' group. I read these posts and see all the work put into restoring small bikes and then see all the really good tank bikes that are comming up lately and wonder why they arn't getting the same restoration as the small ones. It is just like chainsaw said everybody likes differant things. I'm pretty sure at 58 I realize not one of anything covers a hobby. There are people with popup campers...small bumper pulls and the mega diesel carry your whole house when you go types. they wouldnt be caught dead in a tent and I dont want a bus in my yard. Everybody has a nook...some carry over... some stay with one thing. :lol:

I think I should add this...
Even though I tout how rideable 20" bikes are I very seldom ride mine. I guess I think it draws attention - a grown man on a kids bike. Same reason I don't ride my tall bike much even though it is such an enjoyable ride. Don't like all the gawking and pointing :lol:
Some would love the attention it's just not me.
I passed on what looked like a great deal on a muscle bike on CL the other day just because I knew it wouldn't get ridden much.
One reason I started the 20" Night at our pub pedal so I could ride my little bikes in a comfortable setting.
As far as collecting goes I like having a variety.

It sort of falls along the lines of asking what a Rat Rod bike is. :mrgreen:

Where my brain starts to lock up a little on these restorations of 26" bikes is when the builder all done and it ends up looking like the Huffy Cranbrook that they sell at Wal-Mart. :shock: I've seen some of the hardcore restorations done and then the bike almost looks like it's a reproduction because it's in such nice shape. It's good for the history books and museums, but those bikes make me nervous and I'd have a hard time enjoying the ride with that much money invested.

My philosophy seems to be to save the original paint as much as you can and then trick it out with whatever parts you can find. It may also be that I hate painting stuff too...ha ha. :lol:

tell me this bike ain't worth the effort. :) will be my first true restoration.
IMG_0494.jpg

that being said, i dont limit myself to 20" bikes. if i find the right tank bike project at the right price, i'm all over it. if i find one worth restoring i will.

around here musle bikes are much easier to find than tank bikes. if they were more readily avail., you'd probably see alot more in my collection.

those little muscle bikes seem to fetch a high dollar value when restored (schwinn especially) it probably has alot to do with why you see so many peeps spending so much time and money on resto's.

i thought this board was about RAT ROD BIKES.
i've said it before and i'll say it again(this goes for cars,motorcycles, AND bicycles) "stock sucks and restoring is boring".

yes i appreciate a nice original bike and a nicely and corectly restored bike, but is that what this forum is about?

i dont think i've ever owned anything that i haven't cut up/customized/personalized.

yeah, 20" bikes really aint functional in the real world for older guys like me except cruisin' around the lot at a car show or swap meet.
or when my neighbor kid comes by(almost daily) and says "let's ride bikes".

I like bikes all of them :D some more than others but man i really like bikes, rideing them lookin at them hording them :lol: and really like lookin what all you guys have done with the bikes you have. Thanks and HAVE A NICE DAY :lol:
Oh and Uncle Stretch I dig your opinion ive checked out the bikes you have posted and i dig them all. You rock man

Yeah Gee what was I thinking. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: Rat em out. Cut weld stretch design The imagination is the limit. Where is my torch...let me get at that Schwinn I got hiding in the shop. :roll: :shock: :wink:

I agree on this, whatever size bike you like is great as long as you have fun with it. Look at it this way, some people build plastic model cars knowing they won't be driving them, but you know what? They're still FUN! I know a guy who makes a great living restoring vintage and antique gas pumps. He thinks it's fun.
So, I say have fun, restore, customize, stretch any size bike because it's fun to ride and it's fun for pride as well. Did I mention FUN? :D

Stable17.jpg

Uncle Stretch said:
Yeah Gee what was I thinking. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: Rat em out. Cut weld stretch design The imagination is the limit. Where is my torch...let me get at that Schwinn I got hiding in the shop. :roll: :shock: :wink:
Yea right man i dare you to build a Schwinn :lol:

I have to agreee with Uncle Stretch. Twenty inch bikes are worthless for adults. Adults look like clowns riding these things. I'll go one step further and say that any bike that doesn't have a tank ain't squat either. (ducks for cover and runs :p )
And you're wrong about your dates, Steve. I'm 55 and didn't miss the muscle bike years. I got my first StingRay in 1966. Then another... and another in '68, Campus Green, my last one. I not only didn't miss it, I outgrew it and moved on to adult sized bikes. I do have one worthless StingRay, though. Not sure why I have it as I can't ride it. It's a good way to keep all those valuable 20" Schwinn parts in one place I guess. It's also the only StingRay I've ever seen with a tank, so it passes muster. "Tank you very much". Gary
DSC03852.jpg

DSC03866.jpg

Back