karfer vs. sensor: a.k.a the beer build off

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: that may not be what you think it is......notice nothings welded or even tacked :wink:
but im liking the burrito unicycle :idea:
however i did give one thing away in a previous post(itll take some serious though and most wont catch it until the final pictures though and even then the majority probably wont get it anyhow)...
you guys should know by now that i lack anything remotely resembling showmanship and as long as ive got a solid bike that i built im 100% happy :mrgreen:

well may the best builder win my friend u got me pretty fooled which is good i have less to worry about i guess. just keep on keepin on right? nice music by the way not a huge fan of phychobilly but not bad. i am more a rev hort heat sorta dude. maybe thats why i am off the cd player broke too in the garage. OH and sensor howie is gone so things are much more happy at the home steed, now i gotta go get a new cd player

thanks ej i dig that. and man sensor who knows what your building we shall see i hope u got a good hand if i can pull mine off. but that jig i have to do the fish mouthing of the tubes is garbage it is not exact at all i did a better job by hand so back to the ol grind fit, grind a bit more deal. once i get the down tube tacked in i will post some pics and maybe a pic of the machine i am using some of the design features from

greylock i have pics i will post tomorrow. forgot the camera i was all proud of myself got my down tube tacked in wow that sucked to get lined up

karfer67 said:
wow that sucked to get lined up
That's what thumbs are for! .........Hold your arm out, stick your thumb up, line it up with your right eye (use your right thumb) and PRESTO!.. I'm pretty sure that's how the pyramids were built.

oh kota did plenty of that and i got it finally. did a lot of looking down the center of the head tube watching the way the bend was following. one issue i ran into is well because this is a beer bike build off i think when i did my last run of bends on the tube at some point i got a bit off center and it twisted the tube slightly. well after a game of bounce bounce on the tube that got her all straightened out, well.... more or less. all i gotta say is i hope you guys dig it i have not done something like this before so it is sorta the blind leading the blind but i think i am starting to get the hang of it. :mrgreen:

The secret to eyeballing (seriously) is when your stepping away from your project to get a better look, don't look at it. Keep your head down or something and when you get the right distance away, raise your head and look at it. I know it sounds stupid but an old carpenter taught me that years ago and it works. :)

bighit said:
i know it sounds stupid but here is what i do. i put my bikes at different angles around the room and look at them while watching TV on the thread mill or on the stationary bike. like you said i am not directly looking at them, but looking at them from crazy angles. still looking at my tandem.
Sounds extreme, sounds proper.

ej599 said:
The secret to eyeballing (seriously) is when your stepping away from your project to get a better look, don't look at it. Keep your head down or something and when you get the right distance away, raise your head and look at it. I know it sounds stupid but an old carpenter taught me that years ago and it works. :)
I'm a carpenter for forty years I do that on my bikes now but rarley did I do that for carpentry. I did do this for boat building, being the boats I built were mostly built on a jig or frames set upsidedown. You always had to step back to give it the eyeball when you were striking a shearline.

GL
( wasn't hyjacking with the boats, just good eyeball technique. )

003.jpg

002.jpg

the down tube as mentioned is in i like it and here you can see how the front wheel will hopefully sit when done. as a test i had some smaller tubing and decided to take a shot at doing the mid tube which i really like i think i will keep it. it is in the exact placement as a stock higgins. the seat tube is not set in stone yet and if this all looks like it is all over well it is like i said before i have not tried anything like this before and it is a lot of fun. oh and there is that rear pivot again hmmmmm ok sensor i have thrown it down i dare you to show a bit more of what you are up to i think i have shown way more of what i have planned. if not its kool i will just have to start listening to kota more :mrgreen:

Why dont yall quit messing around ,and swing by my house this weekend and I'll build yall a couple frames...Just funnin. You both are doing great I wish I was there to enjoy the builds. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

karfer67 said:
man sensor who knows what your building
a bike :wink:
heres short tease vid of the frame about 70%(wifes in oregon along with the camera so its all ive got)

weld2.gif
drink.gif
weld2.gif
drink.gif

whens this actually going to start(i know you said not till after autorama but....) and whats the end date going to be?

nice video thanks u are a nut. its cool i will just keep doing what i do. as for end time iduno when we get em done? i am getting there but the progress u have seen of mine is where i am at. i am taking my time i have never done a full up frame and if u think i am gonna slap it together and not care if it rides straight (or at least somewhat) you should know me better.

karfer67 said:
i am taking my time i have never done a full up frame and if u think i am gonna slap it together and not care if it rides straight (or at least somewhat) you should know me better.

so im just slapping mine together and dont care how it rides huh? :p :p oh well i guess i COULD make a rat rod for once :lol: :lol: :lol:
i never said anywhere that you shouldnt build it right(or werent for that matter) or rush...i just wanted an beginning/end date was all...

this is my first frame ive ever built too.....but it wont dogtrack :wink:
personally i kinda need a kill date so i can start bringing tools home for the weekend since theyre all at work and thats over an 80 min. drive for me one way(besides....i slack alot and if i dont have a deadline i dont know when to start 'the weekend before the deadline' thrash since thats when i do my best work)

Karfer, getting an "idea" of where your bike is going. Looks like it's gonna be pretty cool.

Sensor, did ya ever think about a career in cinematography? :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back