STBO Kraveliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This will be a step thru frame bike built on a gravel bike theme, but not with drop bars, it'll be along the lines of a klunker but with skinnier tires. So a mix of gravel and klunker.
I originally though this was a cheap frame the wife bought, but as I cleaned it up found it was decent Japanese quality.
frame1.jpg

I found a registration decal on it that I thought was in Japanese.
reg.jpg

The Japanese only keep their city bikes for a few years then trade up. The old ones get shipped to other countries, and the Philippines gets a lot of them. There's a big market because of their quality and utility. I went to a translation webpage and found out this bike was registered in the Niigata Prefecture in Japan.
niigata prefecture.jpg

I built it up as the Leopard Lady, using 26" wheels as it came with new. Maybe 26 x 1 3/8ths.
08 Apr 24 copy2.jpg

It didn't see much use, so it was fair game for this build. I painted it like a leopard but it will get something completely different for this build.
I have a wheeleset I built recently, 700C using gold spokes and a Sturmey Archer kickback hub with coaster brake. They fit this frame and forks. Tires are 38mm, the widest I found at the time.
frame.jpg
With the 2 speed, it has a direct and high gear, so a smaller chain wheel will give me a good low gear for offroad and high gear will be good for normal cruising on the road. I have 39 tooth and 36 tooth chain wheels to choose from and can swapout the cog on the kickback hub if needed. I'll start with 39/22 and see how that works out. I have 2 leather seats to pick from also.
seats cranks.jpg

No handlebars yet. I would like klunker bars. If I'm lucky enough to find a good American step thru frame this all could change.

Latest posts

Back