La Fugazi

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do the photos look as 'skeleton white' to you on your device? They don't even look like bare metal. I was thinking like a 'bone white' matte finish. The RR is cool though.
That nice clean bare metal finish would begin rusting pretty quickly. A clear coat would give it a darker appearance that doesn’t look quite as cool.

Matte bone white under the matte clear. I guess I'm the only one seeing a 'bone white color' in this photo.

la fugazi.jpg

@Karate Chicken Industries , this doesn't appear 'bone white' to you?

La Fugazi came back from the blaster this morning and everything looks pretty mint. The blaster couldn't believe the fenders, chainguard and skirt guard were from prewar bikes as there is no pitting at all.

I got started on fitting a new bracket to the front of the chainguard. I cut the original bracket off the Elgin chainguard and modified a bracket from a Chwinn guard in my pile. Amazingly the hole at the back of the chainguard locates perfectly with one of the rack mounts on the Trek frame.

To make it all work, the chainguard has to cover part of the skirt guard as the fender is designed to sit higher than it does on this frame so I sliced a little out of the top of the chainguard. I'll begin priming everything tomorrow.
View attachment 202292
View attachment 202290View attachment 202291

View attachment 202293View attachment 202289
Now that it’s all blasted, everything really works well together and that modern frame looks downright 30s!
Can’t wait to see what you do next!

Bet it would look good in that primer red color

Yes!! The weather this afternoon was good enough to get out the rattle cans so I took the opportunity and got the frame and fork painted. It looks decent with a small paint run on the bottom of the head tube being the only thing I need to correct. The color looks to be almost black in the photos but is actually a very dark blue.
A849E4F3-2124-4B26-A393-914019FACA84.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the powerblocks make the bronze rims pop more, less to distract from the bling
Thanks Matti. I agree and it will probably ride way better. I like this simple color scheme on this black lady’s Elgin which has the same chain and skirt guards that I’m using. If i had a nice set of chrome rims I would use them.

I am also going to have a go at painting the off white stripes on the raised section of the chainguard.
2F5A0E5C-ED24-4A47-83F6-01DBDE86DD91.jpeg

Too late to vote whitewalls, I guess. Very classy look with the gold rims transitioning into the whitewalls.

Latest posts

Back