STBO Lamia Dressed In Black

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tank got its second coat today and now looking nice and smooth. They will most likely get painted tomorrow. I think I’m doing a lace paint job so I am starting with the same black as the bike. Then some copper tones to set it all off. Maybe I can get the fender in to primer tomorrow. I think the key to hitting these build off deadlines is to paint the bike as early as possible. We all have weather that hits at the worst time, making it hard to get paint down and happy with the results. I like my results so far. Getting cold and the weather is making it’s turn here in Colorado.
IMG_6786.jpeg

Serial plate dilemma
I decided to buy this serial# plate of the bay. It was for the same bike that Lamia is. “allegedly”. Lamia didn’t come with the plate. Any thoughts on whether I should or shouldn’t add the plate? I guess if it were to be registered, it would need the plate. @Wildcat have any thoughts?
IMG_6788.jpeg
IMG_6787.jpeg

The fender has been fillled and primed. I noticed that I didn’t get the old fender attachments knocked down below the crown, so I will knock down some high spots and refill those areas. Some minor dents I initially missed have showed up also. Those will get touched up as well. The Bondo and the primer cure fast so I can get those things done quickly. Tanks sides will get their coats of black today. Everything will be painted pitch black until I start adding finishing touches to the paint.
IMG_6789.jpeg
IMG_6790.jpeg
IMG_6792.jpeg
IMG_6794.jpeg

Note for any rattle can painters out there. Some of you may not know, that on most or many spray paint cans, have a direction that the nozzle needs to point. Notice a dot on the inside rim of the spray nozzle? Your can needs to to line up with your caps outlet. There is typically a straw along the inside of the can, and the dot indicates where that is. If your spray is coming out strange, maybe not enough paint is coming out, or less sparkle or flake, the problem may be your cap alignment. And shake for at least 5 minutes. Seriously.
IMG_6796.jpeg
IMG_6797.jpeg

Serial plate dilemma
I decided to buy this serial# plate of the bay. It was for the same bike that Lamia is. “allegedly”. Lamia didn’t come with the plate. Any thoughts on whether I should or shouldn’t add the plate? I guess if it were to be registered, it would need the plate. @Wildcat have any thoughts? View attachment 282177View attachment 282178
Does the frame have two holes that line up? Then go for it. Those tags were put into use beginning in 1946, and with that low a serial number would be 1946 as the year. For registration you would have to say it's a 46, otherwise would need a new number stamped somewhere to be legal. Maybe it is a 46. No way to tell.
It doesn't match up to the numbers on my Monark list, they are much higher. Unless there is another digit after the 7 at the end. It would then be a 46 going by my saved Monark list.

Latest posts

Back