LATEST RESTO JOB 1938 PACKARD IT IS DONE PIC W/OWNER! 1/15

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is my latest restoration. it is a 1938 packard made by colson, thanks rms37 for the info :D . this belongs to an 84 year old gentleman and was his childhood bike. he wants it completely restored. it is a very straight and solid bike. it will be alot of work but i am looking forward to it. here are some pics before, and tore down. i will be posting updates as the progress goes along.
104_4727.jpg
104_4732.jpg
104_4733.jpg
104_4734.jpg
104_4735.jpg
104_4738.jpg
104_4743.jpg
104_4744-1.jpg

Re: LATEST RESTO JOB 1938 PACKARD

HOLD ON JUST A SECOND! Are you saying the 84 year old man is asking you to restore his bike for him? How cool is that? Can you tell what the origional color was? How are you planing to paint it? Man, I can't wait to see what you do.

yep, that's what i am sayin' :) . the original color is a brown, almost a choclate with the white on the front of the frame and on the ends of the fenders w/green and white pin striping. the wheels are brown w/white pin stripe. i am thinking of acrylic enamel automotive paint-no clear coat. i am trying to get the right shine it would have had new, so no base-clear. i think he is going to give it to his son when finished.

actually it is a davis deluxe and the rear is a united states peerless. both with sweet weather cracking and still great tread that will look good on one of my rats because he wants new tires too! :D

WOW. I mean, just... wow. What a beauty, I know you can do it justice. Colsons have been my undoubted favorites since owning several, and I'd jump to buy one like that if I had the chance. That's just beautiful.

murraymadman said:
actually it is a davis deluxe and the rear is a united states peerless. both with sweet weather cracking and still great tread that will look good on one of my rats because he wants new tires too! :D

The reason I was asking, when I put new tires on an old schwinn my uncle bought a year ago the front tire was good, back was shot. It was a Crest Deluxe, I love the tread pattern on it, it has no cracks and is in great shape so I have it on my Hiawatha, I was hoping to find a match to keep the bike period correct.

Good luck with the build!

Re: LATEST RESTO JOB 1938 PACKARD UPDATE 6/24

not much has happened yet. got it all tore down, here is the morrow hub after cleaning and some cheat sheets for the paint on the frame. my friend wished me luck on getting the morrow back together working properly. this is my first one, doesn't look to intimidating! :D
104_4751.jpg
104_4750.jpg

I just tore down a rebuilt a Morrow, wasn't too hard. Really cool mechanism though, only hub I've seen that has a spring back to release the brakes.

I can't wait to see paint on it! I have the same thing, just a bare rusty frame, and a couple ladies' parts bikes, one of which has a Packard badge. I don't have the snap tank though. ~Adam

Re: LATEST RESTO JOB 1938 PACKARD UPDATED 7/22

well, finally a little headway going on with the packard! have been working on my garage and not enough hours in the day. anyway, got the frame and tank halves painted. got the chrome parts back from my friend who powder coated them "chrome" turned out really nice. :D still need to find a set of similar fenders, the originals are just too beat up. i am liking the brown. here is a pic of the frame with the crank/sprocket and one tank half laying on the frame.
104_4806.jpg

I'm totally obsessed looking at these pics. This is a fantastic project!

hey sean138, why don't you drive down here and mask the scallops off on the frame for me? you did a great job on your bike! :D i think you could be here in less than 3 hours!LOL

murraymadman said:
hey sean138, why don't you drive down here and mask the scallops off on the frame for me? you did a great job on your bike! :D i think you could be here in less than 3 hours!LOL
I'd love to but I won't be able to get down to Southern Indiana for a while. This resto is very cool!

If you come near Greenwood drop those fenders by. I'd like to take a stab at them. I've fixed some pretty bad ones.

Back