SWB0 Lazyboy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the flap wheel till I can't get in tight spots then switch to wire I use the fine wire keeps scratching to minimum
If it looks good bare I might go that route instead of black paint. Have you used the flap wheel or wire brush to remove chrome? My new forks are chrome and need to match the frame.

If it looks good bare I might go that route instead of black paint. Have you used the flap wheel or wire brush to remove chrome? My new forks are chrome and need to match the frame.
Flap wheel works. Takes time but will come off

First, you’ll need to dilute the hydrochloric acid with water in a ratio of 1/3 part acid to 1 part water. You’ll need a heavy-duty metal bucket or another suitable chemical-friendly container to mix the two together.
Put the chrome-plated item in the solution and let it soak there until the chrome comes off.
Once the chrome has been stripped away, remove the item from the bucket and rinse it off with clean water and soap

One of our contractors worked on the drain in my shop. It had been done wrong from the getgo and sometimes the smell would permeate the shop. So, the cover was made to sit flush with the floor with a small opening for water to drain from the trough that goes around the edges of the shop. The floor is slanted towards the drain.
23 Jan 2024b shop work.jpg

23 Jan 2024b shop drain.jpg

The shop is slated to get repainted, so bike work will be at a minimum for awhile.
A couple parts showed up, a spoke protector and a chain guide.

23 Jan 2024a.jpg

Is it really Shimano? It says orignal, not original.:39:
23 Jan 24 orig nal.jpg

The gold tensioner showed up today also. How they can sell these for 5 bucks is beyond me. It's made for a motorcycle. It has a ridge in the middle made for the inside width of a motorbike chain, so I will have to file it down.

23 Jan 24 d.jpg

The chain guide looks good and is supposed to keep the chain on the chainwheel. With the length of this chain I figured to get as much help as possible.
23 Jan 24 e.jpg

The painters are showing up tomorrow so that's it for awhile. I'm rethinking the seat plan after looking at some go cart seats.

23 Jan 24 c.jpg

1706007127019.jpeg

HA! I was reading about the drain and then saw the picture of the Shimano cover and my brain went "Wait what?" "When did Shimano start making those?" So lol you got me on that one...

They just finished up the rehab of my shop. New paint and drainage, and I added an industrial fan. It gets the clothes dry much faster and puts out a lot more air. I can open the window and clear out the shop in 2 minutes.
28 Jan 24 shop1.jpg

All my bikes fit better sitting in the corner, otherwise would take up one whole side on the wall hooks I used. Now I have more room on the walls for bike art.
28 Jan 2024 shopb.jpg

I have my gold brake lever, but I rethought the foot brake idea. I think a hand brake would be better, and I found a 7 foot brake cable in my stash. I thought 6 feet was the longest and that was a little short to the handlebars.

28 Jan 2024a.jpg

My new seat showed up. 500 pesos, about 9 bucks. It's a kitchen chair that was on sale, larger than the go cart seat I was looking at.

31 Jan 2024 seata.jpg

I need to make up a plate for the bottom and go from there to mount it. It might not need rear supports but I'm not sure.

31 Jan 2024 seatb.jpg

I measured the seat for a plate to bolt on. I think the bracket will be separate and the seat will bolt up to it, or maybe two brackets. One step at a time to see what looks good and works at the same time.
01 Feb 2024 seatpan.jpg

I went through old parts and found a roller from a motorized bike bracket that fit so I won't have to modify the roller that came with it.

01 Feb 2024 roller.jpg

I remembered I had a caliper brake on this frame before, so I think I'll add a second brake for safety.

01 Feb 2024 brake.jpg

I tried the memory foam cushion from the wife's kitchen chair (while she was out of course). It fits well so I may get another one. I'm going for the cushiest ride, hence the name, Lazyboy.

01 Feb 2024 cushion.jpg

I mounted the roller further up and it seems to give better support to the chain. I also lowered the legs and put the kickstand way forward, it keeps both wheels on the ground now and the front end doesn't flop over.

01 Feb 2024.jpg

Last edited:
My new 8' brake cables showed up, but they were only 6' long. I knew it was too good to be true. But they are good cables. I may reroute the 7' cable and see how it works. I needed one of these 6' cables anyway, for the caliper brake.

03 Feb 2024 brake cables.jpg

The brakes are all set except for a brake lever, I ordered a new set so they match. The 7' cable worked by running it along the top bar. I used some zipties for the time being, I have some chrome clamps coming also.
I mounted the shifter on the handlebars where the cable would reach.

04 Feb 2024 work.jpg

I made a cardboard template for the seat baseplate. When I (or the wife so I don't pay double) goes to get a piece of aluminum it will alleviate the language barrier at the metal store. I've gone there before to get some flatbar. They speak english but don't understand anything I say. They immediately go to deer in headlights mode.
I went to the machine shop to have some nice bends put in some metal, so I wouldn't have to hammer them. They came out with a 5lb sledge and hammered away, not using the press brake. So now I make a cardboard mockup or send the wife who they understand completely, and even when she's speaking english.

05 Feb 2024.jpg

The black frame with gold lugs idea came from some pics I saw online. Since this frame has unique lugs they should be highlighted. I also have a silver paint pen that I could use to outline the gold lugs.

gold on black.jpg

597db5eb25fd27bf6daf55a17dfaa64d.png

05 Feb 2024 lugs.jpg

The black frame with gold lugs idea came from some pics I saw online. Since this frame has unique lugs they should be highlighted. I also have a silver paint pen that I could use to outline the gold lugs.

View attachment 258131

View attachment 258132
View attachment 258134
I have seen that one, 3D printed lugs.

Highlighting lugs can turn out to be pretty sweet.
Simply pinstriping a line on the edges can be pretty sweet too.

Looking forward to your ideas and progress!

Back