length of spokes on 7 speed nexus to 26''

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wont the height/spoke hole placement of rim effect the equation? if your rim is taller than his,(ie the height of the metal/not wheel size) you could end up with spoke ends sticking in your tubes. :)

i always respoke in twist patterens, gives ya about 1/2" of play depending on just how much ya twist em. it allows me to recycle a greater number of spokes.(one piece hubs)

Hey Clancy I ordered some 10'' .......12 ga spokes and got them yesterday. when I did two sides and started on the third where you twist the hub and it pulles all the spokes through the rim It would never get right and have enough twist to get all the spokes through to start the third run. I took it back apart a couple times and still cant figure out what is wrong

Uncle Stretch said:
Hey Clancy I ordered some 10'' .......12 ga spokes and got them yesterday. when I did two sides and started on the third where you twist the hub and it pulles all the spokes through the rim It would never get right and have enough twist to get all the spokes through to start the third run. I took it back apart a couple times and still cant figure out what is wrong

You need longer nipples :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I place a spoke in the rim and thread a nipple on a couple of turns. Then onto the next spoke/thread.

I looked for a reason that its not working and the only thing I can come up with is maybe using a 3/4'' long nipple will never let the spoke get to enough angle to twist the hub to start on the third run. Im going to switch nipples and see if that is my problem.

when I do both sides and start to twist the hub for the third run i still have half of the spokes sticking out of the rim a half of an inch. It never will twist enough to get them all pulled up tight all around where you can finish the lace. I hate to have a good 7 speed sitting here doing nothing. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don't spoke my own but I can tell you that all my wheels that I have had built with Nexus hubs - especially going on vintage wheels have been custom cut and threaded for the specific application. It will also depend on whether you string them 2, 3, or 4 cross as to how long the spokes need to be. One length will work when stringing them but about 8 or 9 of them always need to have the extra spoke sticking out ground down. Just my experience with my wheel builder.
Joe

Uncle Stretch said:
when I do both sides and start to twist the hub for the third run i still have half of the spokes sticking out of the rim a half of an inch. It never will twist enough to get them all pulled up tight all around where you can finish the lace. I hate to have a good 7 speed sitting here doing nothing. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Send it to me, I will put it to good use. :mrgreen:

Have you used a spoke calculator? I used a spoke calculator on a 2spd hub and it was the same as the spokes purchased at the LBS. They used a different technique to measure.

i think you need a tighter twist.if your skipping 2 holes to start,(ref from hub and rim) try skipping 3.
if your skipping 3, try 4. (4 will probably be the limit.

Normally you spoke one side ...then flip it over and spoke the other side. then twist the hub and all of what you have put in tightens up and the nipples are all against the rim. This stupid thing when you twist as much as you can one side of the spokes is sticking out an inch or so. so it looks like the problem would be fixed if you just twisted the hub some more till all the nipples are seated. but it wont twist and i cant by looking at it see what the problem is. i have never gotten to the next set because these arnt right.

cman said:
Have you used a spoke calculator?
you said yours are 10'' and steve measured his one time and it was 10 inches. It just dosent make sense. I know the spokes are the right length and even when i cut the rusty ones out i saved one and it was 10''

Have you tensioned them all down or at least run all the nipples(36) down to the last thread before tensioning? 3 cross? Instead of getting frustrated part way through, try building it all the way and assessing the problem. If you have time to paint a bike 3 times, you have time to lace a wheel 3 times. And if all else fails, go eat a twinkie. :mrgreen:

When I rebuilt my 7spd from the Electra rim into a skinnier rim, I used the same spokes. The only thing I didn't do was to dish the wheel. The rim runs off center in the rear triangle. No big deal because I am running skinny tires and it ends up being a stronger wheel.

i got it ...the wife is on the way back from the store with a new load of twinkies. :lol: it was just because the nipples had to be all the way screwed in. Using these 12 gauge spokes it looked like it worked better not to do the over over under. i just did over over over. I have seen worksman do it and im wondering if it really makes any differance. anybody got any clues????

The "under" is only done to add lateral stiffness. On a cruiser wheel I don't think that matters too much. The wheel will be just as strong when carry a load.

Crossing spokes over under helps the crossed spokes to share the their loads under tension, or more critically to minimize them from going slack as the rim unloads.

Before I ever schooled myself on wheelbuilding, the first wheel I ever built I uncrossed the spokes because i thought it would be stronger if the spokes had a straight shot from the hub to the rim. That wheel popped spokes, I considered it a failure and I committed myself to learning how to build wheels.

I looked at some of the ones that worksman builds and they dont do the o o u deal. These spokes are really big and they are hard to bend. On everything else I have ever done they were done the right way. But Im too old to be stump jumping and I figure an my slow rides around the block it wont matter. ha ha. It trued up nice and now instead of a good 7 speed laying around I now have a useable 7 speed rim. So I have 1.. 7 speed and 4 ..3 speeds . Man I have to get to building some multi speed bikes . :D :roll: :D

I've done some 105 gauge wheels and I cross spoke on them also. BUT, I've just gotten some 20" wheels and I've noticed that they aren't crossed. I've been crossing those as I rebuild them, old habits die hard.

Last week I did a wheel 3 leading, 3 trailing. Over under all the way. It was like a spiders web near the hub. It came out great though.
MVC-376S.jpg

Back