Lepierre help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up this vintage lepierre bike. I don't know much about it. I am wanting to get it road ready but not sure what it will take since this is out of my area of expertise. ( I'm more of a stingray guy )
I would like to know how old it is. I assume it is pre 1970 since there are no reflectors on the pedals or anywhere else on the bike.
Anyone know how old it is please chime in.
The crank is loose. I have no experience with three piece cranks...at least nothing more than simply replacing the crank arms. I have not removed the guts before.
The headset is loose which should be a pretty easy fix.
One pedal is broken.
Just wondering if anyone has any idea what it will take to fix the crank problem and if the bike is worth fixing or should I part it out. I would hate to part out the bike but it kinda depends on how much I will have to spend to fix it up.
Anyone have any idea on what the bike might be worth as it sits or after it is fixed up to rider condition.
Thanks in advanced.
001-24_zpse868730d.jpg

004-30_zps2d6ccfb3.jpg

005-26_zps078be537.jpg

007-29_zps0798ec15.jpg

008-19_zpsdb3c9f0c.jpg

009-20_zps2c4b7111.jpg

010-19_zps034da50e.jpg

011-16_zpsb261a749.jpg

012-14_zpse7e739cf.jpg

006-23_zpsbe645f44.jpg

What names are on the derailers and shifters? The seats worth over $50 if its not ripped. Maybe a lot more. The bike looks very much like my velo-solex im working on. In my area fixed up, cleaned, good tires tubes, new bar tape, clean and regrease bearings , its about $150 bike in the spring. If the front derailer is a simplex, check it good for cracks .
I get parts dirt cheap so i can put new tires, cables, tubes, seats, sometimes paint, cable housing, spokes if they are rusty, etc and sell at the same price used untouched bikes go for.
If you cant get parts cheap, its easy to spend $40 on tires, $10 on cheap cables, $12 on innertubes, $15 on a seat, $10 on good bar tape, etc.
When it all comes down to it, a item is only worth what the buyer wants to pay.

I'm not much for three piece cranks. But I believe it works like this: When the crank arms are removed you see the outer ends of the spindle. These protrude through threaded caps. Behind those caps are the bearings, and behind those bearings are the races which are incorporated into the spindle. You tighten those caps to eliminate play between the spindle races, bearings, and caps. With the right tools you may be able to tighten those caps without removal of the crank arms. I was just setting up a visual reference without pics by breaking it down like that.

Ozzmonaut is correct . You should only have to tighten the non drive side cup however as the drive side should be screwed all the way in. Non drive side has a lock ring on it. If you have the tools, id suggest pulling out spindle , clean and regrease bearings and cups. If your going to ride it, you will be sorry you didnt.

French bike with some cool parts. Lepierre is still making bikes.

Stem looks nice.
Mafac Racers are nice brakes.
Ideale saddle is in good shape.

The rest of the bike is hard to tell. Dork Disc( plate next to freewheel) indicates a lower end bike. It may be french threaded on the headset, pedals, and bottom bracket. Here is a good French bike read. http://sheldonbrown.com/velos.html

Back