Let's get on it- aka High-larious

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been busy having fun today. My first class 2.

So I originally wanted to build one of these:
Intro-GIF-1.gif

It's a pretty cool chopper that converts to a tall bike. Built out of a cheapo full suspension mountain bike.

Last edited:
I rescued this abandoned Next El Cheapo full sus:
IMG_0357.jpeg

It turns out the suspension pivot and bottom bracket shell should be reversed for this type of build. Also, this frame and swing arm are aluminum which I can’t weld. Back to the drawing board.
IMG_0358.jpeg

IMG_0359.jpeg

This was yesterday.
I dragged out most of my junk frames to reevaluate the project. I still wanted to do a tall bike so I needed a steel solution.
IMG_0365.jpeg

These 2 should get the job done.
IMG_0367.jpeg

This morning I gathered all my junk, broke out my fab tools and got down to boogie. I’m a novice welder and fabricator on the hobby level so this project is just for fun. First task is to cut the frames up.
IMG_0368.jpeg
IMG_0369.jpeg

Then some mock up and sort out the design.
IMG_0370.jpeg
IMG_0371.jpeg

I got some of these stripper wheels off amazon and they are fantastic! Strip paint like crazy and don't damage the metal.
IMG_0373.jpeg
IMG_0374.jpeg

Time to burn some metal! I don't have a frame jig so I used a piece of angle iron to hold the head tubes straight. It worked quite well. I flipped the front of the Specialized frame to use as the lower head tube and tied the frame tubes into the Schwinn down tube for gussets.
IMG_0375.jpeg
IMG_0372.jpeg

To weld the rear I fixed the bottom brackets in the same plane using some rectangular tube and angle iron. This also worked out well. I did find that the mild steel Schwinn frame was easy to weld while the chromoly Specialized was a pain.
IMG_0376.jpeg
IMG_0377.jpeg
IMG_0378.jpeg
IMG_0379.jpeg
IMG_0380.jpeg
IMG_0381.jpeg

Last edited:
Lengthening the seat stays was a challenge. I cut the top of the Specialized seat stays off to move up to the Schwinn seat tube. Then I just added some scrap tubing, trimmed down the rear seat tube and Bob’s your uncle! Not! This section was really challenging to weld. The thin chromoly kept burning thru. But I finally got it all welded and will spend the next few days cleaning up those welds.
IMG_0382.jpeg
IMG_0383.jpeg
IMG_0384.jpeg
IMG_0385.jpeg
IMG_0386.jpeg
IMG_0387.jpeg
IMG_0388.jpeg
IMG_0389.jpeg
IMG_0390.jpeg

I think it came out great. It even looks pretty straight. There’s a few more gussets to add and I need to lengthen the steer tube on the forks. It took most of the day to knock this together but it was fun.

I’m thinking about naming it either Lulu the High-larious for the Schwinn model name or Brienne of High Tower after a very tall warrior woman in Game of Thrones.

Further build details call for apes, a bananer saddle and 24/26 wheel combo. That's going to do it for this project until next week sometime. :thumbsup:

That last photo makes it look like it might, work? :oops: Don't forget to renew your medical coverage. Life insurance might be an idea as well. :bigsmile:

That last photo makes it look like it might, work? :oops:
Might is the operative term. I'm still scrounging for tubing to extend the forks. I think it needs 18-20" extension on the forks to get the head tube angle into the non-suicidal range. 🤪
Don't forget to renew your medical coverage. Life insurance might be an idea
For sure, they don't call me OTB for nothing! Seat height is around 49", I think, 6' at the handlebars. By tall bike standards it's not that tall really.
tumblr_opdtkt70zR1rfq0ndo1_500.gif

Back