Let's see your Cleveland Welding bicycles!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SoCalBeachCruiser said:
1952 Hawthorne....frame built from scratch but I used the crank tube with the "CWC" serial number, forks, crank, sprockets, handlebars and wheels.

beachcruiser3.jpg

I dig the snot outa that.... For sale :?:

oggy said:
WEAKFISH said:
Built this for my mother-in-law. It was her childhood bike....before

nanasbike1.jpg

and after

nanasbike2.jpg

Looks great with those Blue rims ! Where did you find those ? :lol: :lol:

I forget!!! Somebody named Eggy...Iggy...Uggy...Aggy...It'll come to me!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

IMG_7512.jpg

Time I put my two cents in. First is a WWII Victory lightweight. About 1943. The first pics are as found with all the blackout stuff and the handlebar disclaimer. 26x1.375 tires are hard to come by as is skip tooth chain (when you're broke) so I did it up with more modern running gear. The rare stuff is safe in the basement. These are the second set of pictures.
Before;
IMG_7132.jpg
IMG_7133.jpg
IMG_7139.jpg
IMG_7142.jpg
IMG_7137.jpg
IMG_7141.jpg

This was tucked into the handlebar;
IMG_7143.jpg
IMG_7509.jpg

After;
IMG_7495.jpg
IMG_7497.jpg

IMG_7499.jpg

And here's a late 45 or early 46 (going by the hub date). If you know better, fill me in. They're blackout hubs that had been painted silver at some point.
IMG_7251.jpg
IMG_7197.jpg
IMG_7194.jpg

I thought this was interesting, note that the top bar is a machine weld and the bottom bar is hand fillet brazed. In ads shortly after (like 49ish) they started bragging about 100% electronically welded frames. I guess hey started with the main triangle and tooled up more later.
IMG_7250.jpg
IMG_7249.jpg

bruce said:
Here is my '41 Hawthorne and my daughter's 20" Roadmaster.

IMG_9010.jpg

The 1941 Hawthorne is a great example of one of the models that was supplied to MW by both CWC and H. P. Snyder. The two versions are very similar, enough so that one catalog picture sufficed for the model allowing MW to ship from stock supplied by either manufacturer.

This bike is one of the H. P. Snyder built versions. The Fork is a CWC unit and on this bike, the rack is the same as the CWC supplied model. The frame is a Snyder frame and the serial number will confirm that. The visible differences include the dropouts, the crank hanger with its small lug like protrusions, and the upper rear fender bridge, which is arched rather than straight.

The headlight is generic to both manufacturers but the tank, fenders, and fenderstays along with crank and headset fitments are all Snyder based rather than CWC based. I have also only seen that cool stem on Snyder built Hawthornes.

One quick visual trick that separates the bikes (provided the original fenders are untouched) is that the front most front fender brace on CWC bikes rises vertically while on the Snyder variants the brace leans forward.

Latest posts

Back