Let's see your Cleveland Welding bicycles!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have it dropped off today. So here are some pictures with the serial # shot.

What is the black thing below? Anyone knows?

_DSC0069.jpg

_DSC0068.jpg

_DSC0061.jpg

_DSC0062.jpg

_DSC0063.jpg

_DSC0065.jpg

_DSC0066.jpg

_DSC0067.jpg

_DSC0073.jpg

birdmannn101 said:
ratina said:
birdmannn101 said:
If anyone has a link to look up serial numbers to determine year etc of my Hiawatha bike, I sure would appreciate it... Dan

Housepaintbike.jpg

Post the number and we should be able to decode it. That one is 55 and newer

The serial number is A22235 with a 550 stamped sideways to the serial number
hub1.jpg
Here is the unusual looking dropout I was talking about.
dropout.jpg

The NBHAA said, "What you have there is a CWC/AMF frame made in 1955. There is no evidence from what we see here that it was a Hiawatha. And the little ears on the rear of the frame are nothing at all unusual for that time period. There were on thousands and thousands of bicycles they made."

So now I don't know what kind of bicycle I have....Dan

Yes, it says 55 Cw. The stamping isnt the greatest. Also I've never seen one with the 55 Cw sideways. It is a 1955 though

I'd love some help dating this CWC I just got in trade from Dogdart:

002-7.jpg

Serial Number: J78085 (W) <----W in a circle or in a C
There's a faint scratch bit that could possibly be an "A" near the CW

CWC_SerialNumber.jpg

Thanks,
Tim

VonFink said:
I'd love some help dating this CWC I just got in trade from Dogdart:

002-7.jpg

Serial Number: J78085 (W) <----W in a circle or in a C
There's a faint scratch bit that could possibly be an "A" near the CW

CWC_SerialNumber.jpg

Thanks,
Tim
Wow that bike is cool...message me if u ever sell im in pittsburgh too!!

Hello! After a little searching around the internet I found this forum and it seemed like the best place to ask. Hopefully someone can help me out!

I've been spending the week at my grandfather's house. He is in a home now and my family is getting ready to sell the house, so we've been going through everything and cleaning/sorting things out.

Now I haven't been in the garage in years. So today when we opened the doors, I saw this hung up on the wall with some rope and it immediately caught my eye. I'm not really a bicycle person. I know nothing about them and have never really had any interest but I couldn't stop checking this thing out. I asked my aunt about it and low and behold it was hers when she was a kid! She told me about how it was her favorite bike but how she remembered being mad when she first got it because it was handed down to her and her 2 brothers got brand new bikes! Funny that the other "new" bikes, that were also still there, were nothing compared to this in my opinion. I was so interested she told me that if I wanted it she'd let me take it.

Any help with figuring out what year and model I have here would be amazing. I saw previous in this thread people had been pretty helpful with serial numbers. I may know nothing about bikes but I know for anything... check for some numbers! Serial number is 312769. I will be back there tomorrow so if anyone needs other pics let me know! Thanks guys!

2m4eijn.jpg

1ffkno.jpg

296hcw2.jpg

After pulling it off the wall I was disappointed to see there was no front badge. You could see there definitely used to be one, but it was gone. Oh wait what's this (found in the basket)...

2rhxlaq.jpg

Serial number is 312769.

I believe you are reading the serial number incorrectly, it is likely B12769 with perhaps an incompletely struck letter. That would be an appropriate serial number for what is an early 1937 Cleveland Welding built Roadmaster. It looks like the bike should clean up nicely and it is generally complete and original as it sits.

The special piece on this bike is the reasonably rare version of the standard 1935/37 rack with the built in tail light. Most of these racks only have a reflector without the battery light. The lighted rack is valuable on it's own but be especially careful of the glass lens, it is next to impossible to replace.

rms37 said:
Serial number is 312769.

I believe you are reading the serial number incorrectly, it is likely B12769 with perhaps an incompletely struck letter. That would be an appropriate serial number for what is an early 1937 Cleveland Welding built Roadmaster. It looks like the bike should clean up nicely and it is generally complete and original as it sits.

The special piece on this bike is the reasonably rare version of the standard 1935/37 rack with the built in tail light. Most of these racks only have a reflector without the battery light. The lighted rack is valuable on it's own but be especially careful of the glass lens, it is next to impossible to replace.

I'll check the number again carefully tomorrow but that would make sense. And yes my aunt said that everything on it is original. The only thing that is missing is the mesh guard that would have gone over the back tire (notice the holes on the back fender). She said since girls would always have dresses on they didn't want them getting caught. Makes sense! Reasonably rare for the back light huh? Yeah that is something that definitely stood out to me, hence it being one of the pictures I quickly took. What does having something like that do to the value on a bike like this?

Here are some pics of the serial number. I noticed today there is also an 85 that is on the side that I didn't notice yesterday. What is the significance of this number?

2mo2rux.jpg

23jinhu.jpg

heres my CWC bike no idea what it is and im still mocking it up so i havent decided on a color and im making my own springer fron end....the spiral pieces are temporary
149780_3843505806517_1244271415_3631979_1053973549_n.jpg

531352_3843509886619_1244271415_3631982_1843422125_n.jpg

Hi guys, I thought I would introduce myself and add to this thread at the same time since this thread is how I found this site. My name is Travis and I'm from Lancaster PA and this is my first vintage bike. I picked it up off craigslist because I thought it would be a cool cruiser. Still not sure if I want to restore it, clean it and leave as is or do something custom with it. The serial number is H71138, I was hoping someone here could help me with the age. Also I was hoping some of you guys could help me figure out how much of this bike is original. One final question, I notice that a lot of these bikes have tanks but some don't. Were the tanks an option or was it something that only certain models came with? Thanks for all the help and I hope to learn a lot more checking out the other threads.
bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

liveforpeas said:
Hi guys, I thought I would introduce myself and add to this thread at the same time since this thread is how I found this site. My name is Travis and I'm from Lancaster PA and this is my first vintage bike. I picked it up off craigslist because I thought it would be a cool cruiser. Still not sure if I want to restore it, clean it and leave as is or do something custom with it. The serial number is H71138, I was hoping someone here could help me with the age. Also I was hoping some of you guys could help me figure out how much of this bike is original. One final question, I notice that a lot of these bikes have tanks but some don't. Were the tanks an option or was it something that only certain models came with? Thanks for all the help and I hope to learn a lot more checking out the other threads.

Welcome!

Can you post a picture of the rear dropouts? And are there any other markings after the serial number?

Ok, here's a photo of the drop outs I hope it helps. There is also a 530 after the serial number. Also I don't know what that metal thing is hanging off the rear drop outs. It says New Departure on it and is held onto the frame by a piece of wire.
bike5.jpg

liveforpeas said:
Ok, here's a photo of the drop outs I hope it helps. There is also a 530 after the serial number. Also I don't know what that metal thing is hanging off the rear drop outs. It says New Departure on it and is held onto the frame by a piece of wire.
bike5.jpg

That's the brake anchor, it keeps the axle from turning when braking. Supposed to have a metal strap/nut and bolt.

Latest posts

Back