Let's talk business

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. One thing I'd really like to do is to be able to turn my hobby of building and restoring bikes into a business, or at least a venture that lets me earn enough money to re-invest into the hobby. One huge obstacle is the price of new/reproduction parts when I'm paying retail (as if the cost of powdercoating and chroming when required wasn't enough). At the end of the build, turning a profit can be difficult. Take, for instance, my '50 Panther restoration. By the time I had finished it - doing all the sandblasting, painting, pinstriping, and rebuilding myself - I had $1200 into it. It's a show-winner, and garners raves whenever it's in public, but what's the market price for it? I'd like to say $2000, but in reality, it'd probably sell for $1500 max. For all the time invested, that's no way to make money. But, if I could build bikes using old and new pieces acquired at a decent price, and apply some creativity and artistry to them, then ??

So, do I get a business license if I want to start building bikes to sell? Maybe form an LLC? Or, are both of those things too much of a PITA? What I'm hoping is that some of the guys here who have side businesses or have built full-fledged indie bike shops could lend some advice, stories of what they've gone through, or cautionary tales to give me some things to ponder or maybe encourage me in a direction that leads me where I want to go.

Thanks!!

Eric

Ive often thought about the same thing,i was thinking if I started a used parts bicycle junk yard it might be profitable.Then you could be making money while you build....maybe!

this sounds like the birth of another company like electra... i believe others are in the same boat. however there is a market for what you seek to produce, the costs involved are high. it is easier and cheaper to produce something from the ground up that looks the part....

on the other hand... if there is a market for totally custom, or totally restore... people should not have a problem paying you the amount you ask, but not just any cycle will do. you will have to find what the collectors, or the demanded bikes are in order to get the price...

certainly a fickle market

:?

Thanks for your input, guys. Yeah, collectors aren't folks I'm ready to do restorations for just yet. I'd like to have another couple of paint jobs under my belt first. Collectors have very particular ideas of what a restoration is, and get a few together and they'll argue about it. People who just want a unique vintage bike that looks nice are much easier to please (but, yeah, they may be less likely to realize the value of what they're looking at). The coolest scenario would be to get enough bikes out there that people come to you with their old bikes and ask you to restore them ala Rick on "American Restorations". Get a feel for just how far they'd like to go (push for the complete restoration), and give them a quote.

At the same time, part of me would like to open up a shop downtown that deals in bikes that aren't found at the local indie shops (very mundane selection of bikes around here), as well as reconditioned, restored, and customized vintage old bikes. Then, work with a local cafe' or two to display a bike, maybe have a booth at the farmer's market, etc., to promote the idea of riding stylish, unique, practical bikes instead of mountain bikes that will never see the dirt or race-inspired road bikes that are completely impractical for daily use.

you might consider an LLC simply to cover your, er, assets. One thing that's held me back is the thought of someone falling off a bike I built and suing me. Then again, it is a bit litigious here in Jersey...

Back