Light up Brake light

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How could a brake light be done in a motorcycle/moped fashion without it looking like a cannibalized mess on a bicycle? :?: :?:

There were many taillight/brakelight units on vintage American bikes, such as Elgin, Hawthorne, and Schwinn Phantom.
Some even had flashing turn signals 8)
Delta made the units and switches. Some brake lights were activated with a ball-bearing switch in the light housing, others were triggered by a switch at the hub, or less commonly at a switch mounted in the chainstay.
Below are pictures of the vintage Delta switch that mounted to New Departure D, Morrow, and Musselman coaster brake hubs.
Just googled "ball-bearing switch" and found more than a few. Am sure a RRB member could devise a slick solution using a readily available switch.

DSCF9465.JPG

DSCF9464.JPG

2013-08-03_017.JPG

2013-08-03_015.JPG

2013-08-03_014.JPG

Last edited:
There are some I've seen that used an inertia switch as well. It was self-contained in the light housing; when the bike decelerated quickly enough, the switch closed and lit the light. I'm not sure who made them or how well they worked, though.

expjawa said:
There are some I've seen that used an inertia switch as well. It was self-contained in the light housing; when the bike decelerated quickly enough, the switch closed and lit the light. I'm not sure who made them or how well they worked, though.

Yes, some Phantoms used a ball-bearing switch. When slowed the light would come on. Probably when going downhill too!

The_Black_Monark said:
, some Phantoms used a ball-bearing switch. When slowed the light would come on. Probably when going up hill too!
I'm guessing moe of a problem downhill, but would have to be fairly steep if set up properly, hopefully! :?

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
The_Black_Monark said:
, some Phantoms used a ball-bearing switch. When slowed the light would come on. Probably when going up hill too!
I'm guessing moe of a problem downhill, but would have to be fairly steep if set up properly, hopefully! :?

Luke.

HA! :) ...early day here after a long night :oops:

From what I understand about motorcycle/moped brake switches is that the switch is in the brake handle itself. Pull the handle and it completes the circuit for the light and turn it on. Please correct me if I am wrong. I should have said that I plan on motorizing the bike and putting disks on.

There are some new brake lights that use accelerometers like in a Wii or smartphone to turn on the brake light. They also use it to turn on the taillights when ever the bike is moving.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

NicksGarage said:
There are some new brake lights that use accelerometers like in a Wii or smartphone to turn on the brake light. They also use it to turn on the taillights when ever the bike is moving.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4
Do you have a link for that?

luces-1.jpg

This is a cheapo chinese blinkers and brake light.

Notice the clip in the picture, that clip is atached to the brake wire. When you pull the brake handle, the cable is in tension and the clip touches and completes the circuit (light turns on in this case), when you release the brake, light turns off.

For the blinker there is a very simple system, in the handlebar, a triple position switch (like a les paul pickup selector) with left - off - right to signal.

I always wanted to do this to my head lights, but never found the way... but at least it is posible with cheap materials xD

Latest posts

Back