Lock three speed to one gear

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Thought I read a how to on locking a sturmey archer three speed to one gear, got given a three speed but I would like to convert it to single speed anyone link me up?

Sweet ride pics to follow

MrG

If overdrive is OK, just take off the shifter. For one of the other gears, you could us a long machine screw same size as the shift chain and fender washer. There may be other methods, don't recall seeing any.

If you want 1st or 2nd, I'd say shift it to the gear you want, then find some kind of clip or bolt to hold that chain that comes out of the hub in place. -Adam

I've heard that a spoke will thread into a S/A hub....screw it in and bend it where needed and clip the rest off..

If you leave it in high, as it will be with no shifter, you can decrease the number of teeth on your chain ring to give you a good ratio. Probably 38-42 teeth. Then you won't worry about it coming out of the gear you set.

Ok so would chainring need to be smaller or larger? its an old pin type so matching it up might be a problem but I guess I could swap out bottom bracket for an upgrade

Will post number of chainring teeth when I get back from work

Sounds like a plan!

MrG

A cottered crankset? Must be a Raleigh style 3 speed bike. That chain ring is a little harder to find, all I have are 46 teeth.

Before

IMG_0091.jpg

After

IMG_0113.jpg

Got a rear tyre to go on and will sort brake cable.... and others stuff including a better seat....

I just thought of something else. They make larger sprockets for that hub. I once put a 22 tooth sprocket on my SA to get a lower gear on a beach cruiser. That would do the same as a smaller chain ring, a larger number of teeth on the hub will make it easier to pedal. However, your setup might be a good ratio as it sits now.

aka_locojoe said:
I've done this by welding a cap on an axle bolt and then screwing it on to push the rod in till it's in 1st gear.

This is a pull-chain type not push-rod. :|

I was told the bike had been in a shed for ten years and needed some work, but I could have it for free if I wanted it. I collected it and left with a smile on my face.

What was wrong well front cones were loose and rear needed a new tyre.

Have been quoted $90 for a complete single speed rear wheel so figured use what I have got.

Stripped off all the stuff I did not need and ground off lugs

MrG

Should take about 11 hours from here.... Going to try to get a bolt to fit.

Thanks for the offer 8)

MrG

Back