Looking forward to RRBBO#8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peatbog said:
The most fun I have of the build is the painting. Ain't no way am I powdercoating nothing.* Heck, I build a whole bike just so I have something to paint. I'd rather outsource the building of the bike. But I wouldn't care if it were allowed--it could add variety. And then maybe we can see how powercoating like this is done:

powdercoat_detail2.jpg

Now that is cool. But how the heck is it done? Someone knows and they better talk. Anyway, I need to get a hacksaw...

*I am not sure if that means I will or I won't. All the negatives have me confused.

Thats hydroprinting and not the cheapest thing to have done or to get into and nothing for a hobbiest to get into unless you like being stressed out and like to sand and repaint. As for 8 why dont we have 2 classes stock (as the rules are now) and modified (powder coating and frame mods allowed)

Here's my $0.02: I haven't done a Build Off before. I've entered my son's Christmas build... my first build ever, into a contest, but that was just timing. His bike has been powdercoated because I want it to last for more than 5 minutes. In fact, each bike project I plan on doing in the future is a keeper, and I plan on putting the money into them to keep them looking good for years to come. So... powder coat. I rattle canned a quick resto I did on a trike for my daughter. It chipped before she ever sat on it. Really ticked me off.

Powdercoating isn't an enemy to a build off IMO. You can only single color a powdercoat I believe. Last build off I saw some fantastic paint jobs that can't be done with powdercoat. Peatbog did a mind-blowing job with a rattle can! Critter1 painted Lackluster with a professional gun and it was gorgeous!

So... my opinion: Do whatever you want for paint. Frame mods, can't get crazy, but original geometry should be there.

Bottom line: I want to enter, but I'm going to powdercoat regardless. And even if I do enter I'm not going to win. I'm not up to the creative caliber of many of you. But just to enter would be fun. And at least I'd get one vote.

Peatbog said:
dragnusa said:
Thats hydroprinting...

Okay, I googled that and I found there are some really interesting painting techniques out there. Years ago when I built plastic model cars, I used to spray paint various colors on water, swirl them a bit and then push the model car through the paint. Some of those worked pretty cool. A big tub of water and a bunch of paint would work pretty cool on a bike frame. The round tubes might be a problem though because of overlap. I have to contemplate this situation...

Who needs a big tub of water, I live less than a mile from a lake AND a river. :p

"Now what I want you to do, Butters, is to come back to this exact spot when the Contest starts, understood ?!"

4 months to go, really? I'm glad the itch is gone for now. But I too was hatching a plan around Aug.7th so I'm as guilty as anyone else.

This years theme is, No Theme! I'm building a ratty bike with rusty wheels and what ever crap I find laying around. Look for the Train Bell from a goblet I found in storage. It'll be a mis-match made in heaven.

But if it's anything goes, this puppy's gettin' a gender bendin'.

mystery.jpg

so if you buy the frame that was a secret build from the factory with modded frame ie. grape krate that would work for the build off right?

but I have a post-it note telling the workers to put the cups in before paint and just mask them off. Then I am good and will win becuase a friend of a friends, brothers girlfriends, sisters, aunts, coworker said so!

I can't my son droped this silly putty on it and it fliped the numbers and I cant read them backwards the pencil lines are to faded now becauseits soooo old.

Wait. You mean we have to actually work on/build our bike OURSELF?!? See why I want an anything goes build off? Then I can just toss some money at different people and not have to work on my bike at all. Who knows maybe I'd have a chance at winning then! :lol:

Not really. I'm to tragically cool to ever win.

My build off frame came tonight on the UPS truck. Up in the garage attic it goes with the wheelset I got for it.

It's gonna be tough to wait til summer to work on it.

Peatbog said:
dragnusa said:
Thats hydroprinting...

Okay, I googled that and I found there are some really interesting painting techniques out there. Years ago when I built plastic model cars, I used to spray paint various colors on water, swirl them a bit and then push the model car through the paint. Some of those worked pretty cool. A big tub of water and a bunch of paint would work pretty cool on a bike frame. The round tubes might be a problem though because of overlap. I have to contemplate this situation...

If things go as planned I i got a couple ideas for my build off bike too. I need to start looking for a frame now.

Peatbog said:
I'm bidding on this:

$T2eC16hHJGkE9no8jD2fBQzI(47VSQ~~60_3.JPG

If I win, that will be my frame. It will take some cutting and lengthening, however. But I'll let the voters decide on whether or not that is okay. :mrgreen:

I was thinking a motorized bike, but I am also considering going with a lightweight for the build off. I have been really impressed with some of the 20/30s lightweight builds or maybe something ornate and lugged. I want to build a very classy and vintage looking bike. I have a nice lugged Higgins in the garage, but it is in bad shape. I need to clean the rust a little to make sure it is structurally sound.

raggedjim said:
Well, I have only done one build-off, and I enjoyed every bit of it (except the voting, it was brutal). I'm gonna keep building what I build regardless... But if it turns into anything goes, well, I'll come up with something.

Rg

If it did end up being an anything goes build off, I would probably still build a bike that adhered to the old rules. I would think that most of the builds would still be in that vein.

kingfish254 said:
raggedjim said:
Well, I have only done one build-off, and I enjoyed every bit of it (except the voting, it was brutal). I'm gonna keep building what I build regardless... But if it turns into anything goes, well, I'll come up with something.

Rg

If it did end up being an anything goes build off, I would probably still build a bike that adhered to the old rules. I would think that most of the builds would still be in that vein.

I also think traditional builds would do a little better in voting. Look at the voting thread from the Chopper Build Off....Jr, Sr and Jesse went crazy, yet they didn't get the votes on the RRB site. That's why the rules don't bother me. I'm building within my skillset and building a bike that I like....same as last year.

Based on the package that arrived at my house yesterday and about 4 hours driving today my mind has been going nuts with build off ideas. It's too early to get this excited, but I am.

Honestly I think the easiest way to set the frame rule is revert to the old one. You couldn't touch the frame. Meaning no brackets or parts above seat tube could be removed. However welding to or bolting to is and always has been fine. In my book if you cut off rear drop outs thats frame structure not a bracket. And I'm sorry I don't agree with the let the votes decide otherwise why have rules in the first place. I am still amazed no one has used a folding bike as a base since it can come apart and you could do whatever in between. Think about it as the rules are written it would be totally legal.

I'm thinking of redoing the galt town hooligan anyway it would be a good excuse to do it

Not to cause a ruckus since I am more of a observer than anything but it seems wacky you can pay someone to powder coat your bike and pinstripe your bike but if you paint it you have to do it yourself.

Back