Low Flyer...."Building a Better X53"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big progress today!
Both halves of the tank finished :)

Feels like the hump with this project, but there is still a ton to do...

1488060978981-549324691.jpg
1488061017170960223687.jpg
1488061057335-1788998047.jpg

I'm going to go with the black and red color scheme of the first year X53, since it's the easiest ;)

Would love to try and figure out how to do that awesome gold over chrome...But chrome.
So, it'll be black and red and rust where the chromed parts should be, with some liberties used here and there in regards to style etc..

Rack next! And still hunting some old fenders.... Black patina which I will do my own large red darts on.
One month!! :)

Woo Hoo!
Got a start on the rack tubes...With the usual fun of having to make a mate for the other side ;)
Thinking of putting on some rear facing drop outs and welding this baby on permanently.
Got some fenders on the way from a fellow RRBer , so I will have to be patient and hold off until they arrive.
:)
1488225560140-197123587.jpg
1488225599559-1468898396.jpg

Curious to see if you do the rear facing drops, been thinking about it for a build I'm working on.
Would be cool to see how it's done.

Curious to see if you do the rear facing drops, been thinking about it for a build I'm working on.
Would be cool to see how it's done.

If you zoom in on the drop outs and the bottom of the new bars, there's not much room to take the wheel off...If I weld the rack bars to the frame.
Not sure it's a great idea welding the whole thing together, but I am tempted...
What I do know though..I will probably want to be able to take the wheel on and off....;)

I did see your template for some cool looking rear facing drop outs. I think you've got the right idea.
I'd guess they just need to be deep enough that you can get the chain on and off..?

Back