Was feeling unmotivated to do my yard work this morning and awaiting a FB response on a truck I’m interested in, so decided the fork had dried enough and it was time to reassemble it and the front end of the bike.
I replaced the clevis pins with stainless bolts and nylocks. That way I could ‘set’ the tightness of the pivot action. Got it solid side-to-side and the ‘wobble’ just right.
Then I used the Molotow chrome paint marker to touch up some of the missing chrome. Here’s a before/after comparison
and before I knew it, the Liner is a roller!
I took it for a little ‘stride/ride’ in the driveway, it feels pretty good. Can really feel the springer in action. I’ll try to get the drivetrain installed later, energy and ‘honey-do’ list permitting. Then, I’ll get the electrical bits sorted and lastly my nemesis, the chainguard (paint issues and potentially the rear mount, the tab on the frame, could be in line with the chain).
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Pulled my back out yesterday doing some yard work, so progress may slow down for a couple days, but I was looking at the proposed position of the port/starboard flashlight/taillight I plan to use. My initial thought was to place it on the apex of the rear fender, but I have a couple of reservations about doing that now.
1. It would constantly be ‘in the way’ when loading the bike into my car and just in general. It’s too cool of a piece to risk ‘jacking it up’
2. It looks a little ‘much’ positioned there visually too
So, my plan is to slide it forward under the seat. It will rest against the saddle frame (with does not move) and it still gives me enough room to unscrew the end cap to swap batteries. This position solves both issues, it will be tucked out of the way and avoid getting banged around and it looks better visually (to me anyway) in this position.
It looks cooler from behind too, as a bonus
That’s probably it for today, but I’ll be watching y’all’s progress!
Build on folks!
Back felt a little better in the afternoon, so I wired up the ‘horn’ (it’s a 110dB siren actually) and the headlight. I was able to get everything in one side of the tank. I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out.
As you can see, I used quick disconnects so I could remove the tank half for battery changes/repairs.
On the light, the switch has an LED ring that lights up when the light is on
Buttoned up quite a bit today, first off it’s a ‘rider’ (but also a rub-er). I need to swap out the nylocks on the tail light mount with standard nuts and split lock washers because the tire is touching them under rider load. I also need to massage the indents on the front fender like I did on the rear, again minor stuff. I’ll post some daylight pics of everything tomorrow.
Also knocked out all the lighting. I drilled out the rear fender and mounted the port/starboard light and made all my wiring connections and finally found the proper length post bolt to hold the rear of the tank together, so it’s all buttoned up and tested.
Again, better pics tomorrow, but here’s a few with the lights off.
Digging the yellow, blue, green and red lights. It suddenly became my nighttime bar hopping, garden riding, parade leading party bike!
Loving this taillight
My retrofit headlight really throws some light! Not bad for 6 LEDs