Lowco Liner (aka Sunday Best)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While the blue does compliment what you've got going so far, I really like your clean and mean idea with the black and chrome. It's really going to be smooth! There is such a great flow to this bike.

The blue wheels are definitely just loaners and the tape is there to prevent me from jacking up the paint/powdercoating. I’ve been wanting to strip and polish my wheels since the day I bought them. Once I ‘do’ the tank and guard, hopefully the ‘grand plan’ will make sense.
Going classy on this one, no ‘natty, ratty’. Now, next year…I’ll require a tetanus shot 😁
That settles that.

This's all I have left to offer then.
paper towels_.jpg

Deal,
I know where you're coming from. Consider a secondary color. A hint of color can make all the difference.
I have kicked around another ‘color’ for any graphics.
That settles that.

This's all I have left to offer then.
View attachment 200076
Didn’t mean to sound abrupt bud.
I hear ya on a possible accent color. I was gonna keep this part as a ‘secret’ until I was ready to mock it up, but I picked this up as a possible tail light. The red/green will be a reference to the port/starboard of the marine heritage of Savannah.
6D1A8A0A-951E-47A0-BA6F-3E3183D3AF81.jpeg

I was thinking to install the lens ‘sideways’ with the red side down (tail light) reflecting against a chrome fender and green side up providing some ‘cool’ color at night. Here is a 5 second mock-up of it sitting on my original fender choice.
B684AD1A-5DF0-4D69-A525-90180AD8D806.jpeg

Last edited:
I have kicked around another ‘color’ for any graphics.

Didn’t mean to sound abrupt bud.
I hear ya on a possible accent color, I’ve kicked around the idea of something for any graphics I may do. I was gonna keep this part as a ‘secret’ until I was ready to mock it up, but I picked this up as a possible tail light. The red/green will be a reference to the port/starboard of the marine heritage of Savannah.
View attachment 200081
I was thinking to install the lens ‘sideways’ with the red side down (tail light) reflecting against a chrome fender and green side up providing some ‘cool’ color at night. Here is a 5 second mock-up of it sitting on my original fender choice.
View attachment 200082
Glad you brought up the reflective nature of chrome. During a sunny day the bike will take on a bluish hue. Shiny components, bare metal even paint reflect the surrounding environment. One reason I often use chrome plated rims.

secrets-everywhere.png

Worked on sanding the wheels a bit last week, nothing really worth showing yet. BUT, I did mess around with the headlight.
The bulb in it was a 55 watt unit.
9F44C2CF-BF8A-4BAC-99AD-965BA8717B7E.jpeg

However, I could barely get it to glow with a 9v battery. So, I picked up a 20 pack of these 2mm LEDS (wired with a resistor already)
077D5082-FBAF-4066-9375-02C4DE31C776.jpeg
6619F85A-D254-4BDB-803C-55B2345633A4.jpeg

I started with a little Dremel surgery to separate the existing bulb from its mounting plate
901D32A9-41AE-4238-8FE3-F842CC41898E.jpeg

Six of the new LEDs fit perfectly in the plate
6BB9C95B-D2EE-4472-83F1-390990B52CF6.jpeg

On the first version, I installed the them straight in, mostly to test my solution. Twisted all the red leads together and all the black leads together and wired them to a 9v battery pack.
05FA9C85-C10B-4CCB-B446-FC4158A69FC9.jpeg
4901E51F-418B-43EE-BCA6-0612786C4AB4.jpeg

Even with a little ambient light coming through the door in the room, I think this will be plenty bright to be seen
807C29DE-0E37-4AF9-B053-4A812DF7E2A2.jpeg

But this ‘clumsy’ version was too tall to fit inside the back enclosure
B2EC4363-A6CE-48F0-9937-5545E0C7CB82.jpeg

So, I bent each one of the LEDs 90 degrees, so the wires would lay flat against unit
8EDDB5F3-F6B6-4B22-9EC0-CF43794F0B91.jpeg

This is a MUCH cleaner method
I tested each bulb individually to make sure they weren’t damaged by the bending and finished taping everything up.
4F51D8B0-CDEB-4924-A940-33D9B8B1FEBB.jpeg

That’s as far as I’m gonna go with it right now. I need to go buy some larger gauge wire to connect to the grouped leads and from there to a switch and the close the loop with the battery pack, but that’s for another day. Put the light back together and shelved it.
7F523F47-B983-44EE-AAD1-8D86957EDE8A.jpeg

Back to sanding the wheels tomorrow, gonna get rough spoke length measurements from the borrowed blue set and make ANOTHER attempt at lacing 🤞🏼
Stay tuned!

Nice wiring work there. I like the hive grouping of bulbs too.

Glad you brought up the reflective nature of chrome. During a sunny day the bike will take on a bluish hue. Shiny components, bare metal even paint reflect the surrounding environment. One reason I often use chrome plated rims.
DC5D9C56-2737-4F84-9194-9F1BFD11EFE6.jpegThis was shot sitting in the shade but it was shot under a clear blue sky.

The Blue paint looks exceedingly blue, and the upper chrome looks very blue next to the blue paint.

The lower chrome looks more silver next to the silver paint and gray concrete.

But even the silver paint looks very blue on top.

Worked on sanding the wheels a bit last week, nothing really worth showing yet. BUT, I did mess around with the headlight.
View attachment 201971

However, I could barely get it to glow with a 9v battery. So, I picked up a 20 pack of these 2mm LEDS (wired with a resistor already)
View attachment 201973View attachment 201972
I started with a little Dremel surgery to separate the existing bulb from its mounting plate
View attachment 201974
View attachment 201975
On the first version, I installed the them straight in, mostly to test my solution. Twisted all the red leads together and all the black leads together and wired them to a 9v battery pack. View attachment 201976View attachment 201977
Even with a little ambient light coming through the door in the room, I think this will be plenty bright to be seen
View attachment 201978
View attachment 201979
So, I bent each one of the LEDs 90 degrees, so the wires would lay flat against unit
View attachment 201980
I tested each bulb individually to make sure they weren’t damaged by the bending and finished taping everything up.
View attachment 201981
That’s as far as I’m gonna go with it right now. I need to go buy some larger gauge wire to connect to the grouped leads and from there to a switch and the close the loop with the battery pack, but that’s for another day. Put the light back together and shelved it.
View attachment 201982
Back to sanding the wheels tomorrow, gonna get rough spoke length measurements from the borrowed blue set and make ANOTHER attempt at lacing 🤞🏼
Stay tuned!
You guys are opening up so many lighting options for the RRB world. Really nice work Doc. Thank for sharing.

Last edited:
Got them both through the 400 grit phase and one through 800. I think I found donor wheels with the right length spokes, we’ll know in about 2 more rounds of sanding and polishing compound. I finished wiring the headlight today, purchased a few parts for the horn and lighting electrical.
For the first time in entering these Build Offs, I’m concerned about finishing on time with bike the way I want to present it. But, I’m gonna try to cross that line!

Last edited:
View attachment 201971

View attachment 201973View attachment 201972
View attachment 201974
View attachment 201975
On the first version, I installed the them straight in, mostly to test my solution. Twisted all the red leads together and all the black leads together and wired them to a 9v battery pack. View attachment 201976View attachment 201977
View attachment 201978
View attachment 201979
View attachment 201980
View attachment 201981
View attachment 201982
Stay tuned!
Nice work! I’m all thumbs when it comes to electrical 👍🏼

Got them both through the 400 grit phase and one through 800. I think I found donor wheels with the right length spokes, we’ll in about 2 more rounds of sanding and polishing compound. I finished wiring the headlight today, purchased a few parts for the horn and lighting electrical.
For the first time in entering these Build Offs, I’m concerned about finishing on time with bike the way I want to present it. But, I’m gonna try to cross that line!

do-it.gif

Awesome work on stripping, sanding, and polishing those beauties. Let me know if you want to borrow my truing stand.

Beware looking at those too close in the sunlight!!!!

cant-unsee-my-eyes.gif

Latest posts

Back